Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tree is this?

Hi,

I have a nice tree in my backyard and have been trying to I'd using google search but this does not seem to have given me a definitive answer. It is around 10 feet high with several thin trunks leading up where there are a number of offshoots.

Been bare all winter but now covered in nice simple leaves and purple wisteria like flowers. My best guess from google is a chaste tree. However, from pics the chaste tree has thinner leaves than this one.

Any leads or ideas on best way to check would be gratefully received. Number of pics attached to hopefully help!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Caldan; 01-06-2013, 09:29 AM.

lilac,and it stinks,
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I thought lilac too, but the flowers seem a bit far apart.

Comment

It is one of the lilac family - syringa vulgaris - and I like the smell of lilacs but it is supposed to be unlucky to bring them indoors. So that was where I went wrong.
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, good to know what it is. Don't think it is what I would have chosen but it seems happy enough so will leave it for now. It is at the bottom of the garden so will see how the smell develops

Thanks again for the advice.

Comment

If it's bigger than you want it to be, you can cut it back quite hard when it's finished flowering.

Comment

Oh, that's good to know, thanks. Errrr...what would you define as quite hard? Say up to half current height? Or less/more?

Also how much could it the be expected to grow/recover by following flowering?

Would like it bait shorter as growing into tree next to it.

Comment

I think what you have (in spite of its present height) is a dwarf or Korean lilac. The individual flowers in the racemes are farther apart than in a standard lilac. Are the leaves about the size and shape of privet leaves? I have one and keep it clipped to below 3 feet high.

You can rejuvenate prune in late winter/early spring by cutting everything down to 6" to 8" high, which makes it sprout lots of fresh growth from near the base. If it's too tall now, when it finishes flowering, reduce the stems by half, then next spring cut it right down.
                eta picture:

Last edited by mothhawk; 01-06-2013, 01:06 PM.
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

Thanks, will try pruning back in autumn/spring and see how get on. Good thing will be that stems will make great stakes/supports for beans et al next year

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X