Another couple of ID's please! : )

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another couple of ID's please! : )

Had a lovely day out at Little Bentley Hall show yesterday and wondered if anyone could help with identification of these?

The purple one among the cow parsley!

And a lovely leafy plant!

Attached Files
    http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

The first - possibly Chionodoxa.
    The second one is an Arum of some sort - I think!
    Last edited by veggiechicken; 03-06-2013, 09:36 AM.

Comment

I'd be interested to find out what the second one is as we have them growing wild in our garden. A gardening friend told me I should dig them up as they have poisonous berries and they spread everywhere.
      It'd be a shame to do that as they are so pretty- so it'd be good to know if she's right , and then I can make a decision.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

If its Arum Maculatum, Nicos, it does have poisonous berries and it is difficult to get rid of it. Also known as Lords & Ladies, Jack in the pulpit etc.
        I think the one in Vikki's photo maybe Arum italicum.

Comment

OMG!!!

I've just goooogled Arum Maculatum VC....

" It is one of the most common causes of accidental plant poisoning based on attendance at hospital A & E departments."

As the 2 places it grows is in the Gite garden- and we have children who stay-I think it needs to come out.

Looks like my friend was right then!

Vikki- my plant doesn't have as many lines on it's leaves as in your piccie- they're clearly different!!

Comment

I have the same Nicos and I am always hoofing it out. Grows wild along my shady hedgerow and woodland bits.
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I leave it alone - it's pretty. Just don't eat the ruddy thing!
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

G4- it's stopping other peeps's kids from eating it!

Having said that- I'd keep it if it were in 'my' garden
                Last edited by Nicos; 03-06-2013, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  The first - possibly Chionodoxa.
                  The second one is an Arum of some sort - I think!
                  Chionodoxa is a shorter spring flowering bulb. I think this looks almost agapanthus like in the tall stem and long thin leaves. That or an allium of some kind. Maybe a camassia, but which one, I don't know. My mum has something similar in her shady border. I can't for the life of me understand if it was an agapanthus, why it would be there.
                  Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 03-06-2013, 10:36 AM.
                  Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Just pull the flower spikes off the arum the leaves are still pretty and don't invite littles to eat them.
                    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

First pic looks like a Camassia bulb. Second looks like an Arum.

Comment

Thanks ever so much everyone!

I think you're right about it being Arum italicum VC - I'm a little nervous about it as we look after my folk's dog a few weeks a year but I guess as long as I can remove the flower spikes as you suggest, roitelet, he'll be ok... I do love the leaves!
                        http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X