Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lemony plant ID

Hi all,

My mum has this plant in get garden she isn't sure what it is or where she got it from (she's had it years) but she swears it keeps Mosquitos away

When you rub the leaves it smells of lemon.

Does anyone know what it is? I'd like to take a few cuttings to grow in pots, is that possible? What would I do?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Its Lemon Balm (Melissa Officinalis). Spreads easily like mint! If you have a rummage around the roots, you'll probably find some rooted offshoots that you can dig up. If not, cut a few stems and put them in water, they should root quite easily.

Comment

Thanks vc. I've taken a few stems from mums and put them in water hopefully they'll root
      Ill have a google on them once the bambino goes to bed x

Comment

Lemon balm makes a refreshing tea - in fact I think I'll have a cuppa now

Comment

Ooh how'd you make it VC? I don't mind a nice cup of warm lemon but its usually the squeezy lemon bottles that go into mine "/

Comment

Just pinch out the top of the stem and a few bigger leaves and bung it in a cup/pot with boiling water. Leave to stand for 5 minutes or so! Easy peasy
            Also, by pinching out the top, you encourage the plant to shoot below the pinch and produce even more delicious leaves for your next cup

Comment

Just a word Rosee, Lemon balm in the ground can be somewhat invasive and will grow to about 2-3 ft high.
              Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

It self seeds in my garden, I love the look of the plant but if I don't dig some of them up I'd be swamped with them....

Comment

Yes I agree, Lemon Balm, hence the lemony scent and it's a pretty thug
                  Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Thanks everyone, think ill grow it in pots, mum swears it keeps the mozzies away so i can place a few round the garden, I've had a google and it seems it has a few other uses too...bonus! x

Comment

my garden would be only lemon balm if i didnt pull out all the new plants that pop up every year ....so invasive ...
                      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

My aunt strims hers back half way once a year in the summer, even though it dies back in winter. It keeps it under control, I guess.

Funny, I'd be more surprised if it wasn't lemon balm from the title of the thread.
                        Forgive me for my pages of text.

Comment

Does lemon thyme keep mossies away? If so Morrisons have some lemon thyme plants, bought a nice one last week for £2.

Hi. Hi. We've removed your signature. If you have any issues with this, please contact one of the Moderators.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X