What plants are these please?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What plants are these please?

All cuttings are from large shrubs (all at least 8ft tall), the yellow leaved one has 'very' fragrant white flowers.

The one on the left in the jar has very glossy leaves which were arching on the plant, bit like an umbrella.

Ta.
    Attached Files
    Hi. Hi. We've removed your signature. If you have any issues with this, please contact one of the Moderators.

The first one is a Philadelphus aka Mock orange
    The second one looks like Weigelia?sp but glossy leaves doesn't sound quite right

Comment

The second pic (well third really) has two cuttings, I think the one on the right may be a Weigelia (hadn't got a clue so googled your suggestion, ta).

The cutting on the left in the jam jar has glossy leaves which have veins running through them, each stem droops at an angle from the branch.

I will try and get a pic.
      Hi. Hi. We've removed your signature. If you have any issues with this, please contact one of the Moderators.

Comment

Not sure if this is of any use.

Attached Files

Comment

Its easier to get an idea of it on its own - but I don't know what it is! Doesn't look very inspiring to be honest!! Does it smell of anything when you rub the leaf? Have you seen it flower?

Comment

Looks like an Ivy to me!
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              The first one is a Philadelphus aka Mock orange
              The second one looks like Weigelia?sp but glossy leaves doesn't sound quite right
              Mock Orange, ooh! I like the look of those, I hope my cutting roots!

Comment

It did look quite impressive as a whole, I will take a pic tomorrow when out with the dog.

No, it doesn't smell of anything.

Not sure if it blooms or not, I spotted it when out walking the dog (don't worry, it wasn't in anyones garden).
                Last edited by 21again; 20-06-2013, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I am not well up on plants but don't think it is an ivy, it was from a huge bush, like a Rhododendron type shrub.

Comment

Mock Orange and Weigela should be quite easy from cuttings - I've done it!!
                    I know what G4 means about Ivy, - mature leaves on ivy are a different shape to the ones we recognise as ivy. Let us have a few photos of the bush and some more of the leaves, Look for any old seed heads or buds.

Comment

I will have a look tomorrow (unless it is tipping it down!).

Comment

I'd hazard that the the dark one is from a mature ivy, too.

Comment

I have just seen something with the same leaves whilst sat in traffic and they were on a very large tree, off to get my rhs book out to try and find one.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            leaves on ivy are a different shape
                            Ivy is really interesting: the leaves are one shape (smooth) when it's growing horizontally, but when it finds a vertical surface to climb up, the leaves change shape (becoming ivy shaped). They don't fruit until they're about 7 years old

I don't think the mystery plant is an ivy: it doesn't grow as a bush, it climbs & scrambles
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Ok, got some pics this morning.

It is a lot bigger than I thought, about 10ft high and 20ft wide.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X