No flowers on Ceanothus Griseus

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No flowers on Ceanothus Griseus

Hi. I purchased a Ceanothus Griseus in 2011. It was in flower when I bought it but has not flowered since. It has grown quite big since then. It is against a south facing wooden fence and the leaves seem healthy. Any suggestions as to why it hasn't flowered or what I can do to encourage it?

If it's any consolation I've a purple leaved one that's never flowered and been in a long time. Usually generous flowerers too.
    When I had an issue with something else not flowering I was recommended to give it sulphate of potash. I should try it on this ceanothus too.

Comment

mines got lovely colour on it..I'm very lucky
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks lovely Guykp57. Do you do anything special with yours?
        A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Thanks Wendy. When would be a good time to do it?

Comment

I have a Ceanothus planted in a garden (planted small approx a year ago).... full sun for most of the day

this year, it looked spectacular (the flowers are fading now) .... what I did, is add a generous amount of bat guano in early spring (high P and K) .... There are other bat guano's that have high nitrogen and low P & K ....

here is a photo taken a few days ago (not a good photo, but you cann see it just to the left of the photo)

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/1193/trex1v.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Susied+ View Post
              It has grown quite big ... and the leaves seem healthy.
              I'm wondering if it's been fed too much nitrogen. That will give you leaves at the expense of flowers.

It's a Californian native, tolerant of coastal conditions, which suggest to me that it's preference is for quite poor, dry soil. If you cosset it (overwatering & overfeeding), it won't bother to flower
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks Wendy. When would be a good time to do it?
                I don't think a high potash feed is going to make it burst into flower this year but thinking about it I would guess regular feeds through the growing season might build up it's reserves for next year.

Comment

Where do you get bat guano from??

Comment

Where do you get bat guano from??
                    I buy a 3kg tub from my local hydroponic store for £18 (if you google using your nearest city/town and add hydroponics, you may be amazed at the number of stores in your area) ...

if there are none nearby, you will find all the nutrients and fertilizers on ebay

they have some really good composts and fertilizers, including worm humis (vermicompost), seaweed extracts, fish hydrolosate etc

none of these are available in most garden centres .... this is where I get my fertilizers from:

CamGrow - Hydroponics & horticultural supplies Cambridge - Hydroponics, Grow Lights, Grow Rooms and Plant Lighting - Cam Grow - 01223 424646

and here is a bat guano (he has not listed the 3kg tub on his website which works out cheaper

Bat Guano 1kg Tub - CamGrow Hydroponics

and, I have been feeding my tomato plants and veg with these fertilizers ..... they are looking superb .... you have to try some stuff called advanced nutrients iguana juice grow (amazing stuff, but a bit pricy ... costs £19.50 per litre, but 1 litre makes 200 litres when diluted:

Advanced Nutrients Organic Iguana Juice Grow 1 ltr - CamGrow Hydroponics

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X