Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climbers

Hi there

I'd really appreciate any advice before my head explodes I live in a bungalow and the front garden is seperated from the path by a 4ft high picket type fence. I thought about having some shrubs but have decided I would rather have some kind of climber that will weave in and out of the slats (if that makes sense) I would prefer it to be evergreen and preferably be good for wildlife. My soil is clay and I think it's a south west facing garden, any suggestions would be really welcome

At 4 feet high it won't really be a climber. Plants classified as climbers usually reach to at least 8 or ten feet.

Comment

Hi, Kahriss, if you mean the fence is against the public footpath by the road, you'll need something fairly robust that will put up with people brushing against it or knocking it when they walk by. i would suggest honeysuckle, it is vigorous, thickens up well after the first year or two, and is as happy going "along" a fence as going "up" it.

It won't be completely evergreen but should keep a lot of leaves except in a really hard winter. You will get sweetly scented flowers beloved of moths and some bees, berries for the birds, and nice thick bushy growth for a bit of privacy and also cover for birds.
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

Nothing will climb up or cling to a picket fence: you'll need to staple some netting to it first.

And you can have shrubs AND climbers (although as said, 4ft isn't climbing height: all my climbers are over 6ft tall and would go higher given a chance).

A greater range of plants will benefit a greater range of wildlife
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I do like the sound of honeysuckle, I love moths so anything that attracts them is good :-) Thanks for telling me about the netting, I'd have just put something in and expected it to cling!

Comment

What about a Pyracantha (Firethorn) or Cotoneaster. Not climbers I know, but they can be pruned back flattish against a fence. They both produce flowers for the bees and berries that the birds love

Comment

I do like the cotoneaster but they're quite slow growing I think? I'm a bit wary of pyracantha as I have dogs and the thorns are quite vicious. Someone suggested ivy but I heard that can take over everything.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X