Lupin Advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lupin Advice

The other month I moved house, and I now have a decent size garden so I'm trying to get greenfingered.
    I've taken a liking to Lupins, they really are beautiful.
    I've got 4 established Lupins which I bought from local Garden Centres, and they're doing well. I've been following online guides as to what to do.

I bought 2 packets of seeds to grow some myself a month or two ago. I followed the packet instructions, and ended up with loads of plants sprouting only 5 or so days after sowing. I was shocked. Now a few months on I've potted them all up and I have 78 Lupins in individual pots, ranging from 3cm-10cm tall.

They're doing well outside. But as our winters seem to be getting colder with more snow.
    Will these survive outside? Or should they go in the greenhouse over winter?

Thanks in advance!

mine are always left in the ground,some years they fine another not,if you worried,put a mulch on the crown when they have died back over winter,the pots,pop into the green house,i personally have not had regular luck with them,you can also save your own seed,when you know what the colors are you wish to repeat,i do agree they are a lovely statement flower,when the greenfly leave them alone,
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
      mine are always left in the ground,some years they fine another not,if you worried,put a mulch on the crown when they have died back over winter,the pots,pop into the green house,i personally have not had regular luck with them,you can also save your own seed,when you know what the colors are you wish to repeat,i do agree they are a lovely statement flower,when the greenfly leave them alone,
      #

Firstly thanks for your quick reply.
      Have you grown them from seed, and not had luck? So far they're doing well, it'd be a shame to lose them. Still this is my first ever year gardening, I've never done more than mow a lawn before so it's all learning for me.
      So far they've been greenfly or aphid free. But the slugs won't leave them alone! I've bought pet friendly slug pellets, I hope they work. I've also laid a few beer traps out, which caught 4 slugs last night

Comment

Hello, and welcome to the Madhouse!

Incidentally, you haven't put your whereabouts in your profile, so you won't get accurate advice for your locality. Round here, Lupins grow well, and re-seed each year. We don't dig them up unless they get attacked by Aphids, like they did last year.
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
          Hello, and welcome to the Madhouse!

Incidentally, you haven't put your whereabouts in your profile, so you won't get accurate advice for your locality. Round here, Lupins grow well, and re-seed each year. We don't dig them up unless they get attacked by Aphids, like they did last year.
          I'm in Buckley in North Wales, will update my profile now, thanks!

Comment

Lupins are pretty tough and will get through their first winter unless they get waterlogged. Having said that, a lot of mine get eaten by slugs in early spring or infested with aphids that weaken or even kill the plants.

A look at railway embankments, where lupins often naturalise, shows the sort of conditions they like best: sharp drainage and thin soil.

You can keep some seed from your favourites and start it off in pots in March, or I'm told you can easily root basal shoots in the spring too. I've never managed to do this, but obviously it would ensure the same variety. I think seeds are easier and give an element of surprise; having said that I only grow a white lupin and a pink one: the white seeds grow white flowered plants and the brown seeds grow pink flowered ones, so I know where to plant them out.
            My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
            Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

that explains why i can grow lupins here! The bit where they are growing is an old railway embankment. in England I could never grow them .Have grown from seed too...
              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

I've started loads off from seed this year too. Mine are now all in 8cm square pots, but I won't be planting mine in the ground until next year. I'm hoping to overwinter in the GH. I don't want to lose them to the slugs. I will pot them on and plant out when they are good a good size next year.

Comment

Croeso Alan I know absolutely nothing about lupins - just wanted to say Hello

Comment

Well I've picked up my greenhouse I won on eBay today, got it home whilst managing to keep all but one piece of glass intact.
                    Can't wait to get it up! I've got things I want to grow!
                    Will just put my young plants in there over Christmas. As the winters have been pretty harsh of recent.
                    I've seen as low as -15 a few times on my early 5am starts.

This hot weather is making me want a night of -15 it's boiling. Never satisfied its either too hot or too cold

Thanks for the replies and hellos!

Comment

Don't forget to put some pics up of your new GH - they are a nosey lot on here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X