Reviving a poorly Atropurpureum

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reviving a poorly Atropurpureum

I couldn't stop myself buying the poorly dried out looking crispy Acer and thought I could do something with it.

Can any Acer experts give me advice on getting it back to its glory? The plant is around 1ft tall. I plan on keeping it in it's pot untill it looks better, also would it like a bit of FBM in th ground before planting?
    Follow my garden and chilli growing project... @impatientgrower

They like a good deep pot for their root system, Naga, and they don't like being too dry or waterlogged. so try to just keep it moist. Put it in a saucer to start with, or the first time you water it the water will all just drain away, so it needs time to soak it up. They like to be kept in slightly acidic soil, and out of the wind.

I suspect it has had too much exposure, and too little water. You could take a picture now, for us nosey people (ok, me!) and you'll have something to compare it to as it recovers. Well done you for rescuing it - I love Acers.
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I love Acres too, their a bit expensive to buy so if I cannot take care of them that well its money down the drain which is why I got the cheapo one to start with. I'm gonna put thus Acer across the garden next to the fence so I can give it its own space and soil. My garden does have full sun all day apart from morning on one side. Plus we can get some heavy wind coming in from the north.

Here is a picture

http://imgur.com/Zu3CrsT.jpg
      Last edited by Naga; 10-08-2013, 04:40 PM.

Comment

That one will recover fine!! I have 2 in pots that have been totally crisped for more years than I can remember but they always come back the next year - to be abused again!! I really should plant them out instead of keeping them in pots.

Comment

Oh yes, it does look a little sad. As VC said - it'll probably be fine with a little TLC.
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I put him inside last night and will pop him back out in the day. Just waiting for my soil testing device so I can properly prepare the soil for him.

Actually.... is normal potting compost with some blood, fish and bonemeal ok to pop in the hole before I plant him out?

Comment

They really, really hate wind. Wind will make them go brown & crispy.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X