Anyone identify please? Blue flower swarming in bee's

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone identify please? Blue flower swarming in bee's

I was on the allotment the other day and pulled up next this plant on the plot next to mine. It was swarming with bees, Seemed like they couldnt get enough of it.

Small bush approx 1ft to 2ft tall, With drooping buds and small blue flowers, Approx 5 petals.

I want to grow some myself, It was very relaxing to watch them at work. I didnt get any done but there is always next time.

Hopefully this picture will work.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lazy Gardener; 18-08-2013, 11:30 PM. Reason: Forgot to say Thank You.

Looks like the herb borage to me.

Lovely stuff!
    http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Yep, borage. There's a white version as well but they don't seem to be as mental for that one.

Comment

Yes, Borage an annual. Makes lovely plant food as well.
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Borage seeds really freely. If you neighbour will let you pull up a plant and transfer it to your plot you will be cursing it as a weed by this time next year. Don't be fooled if the transplant looks like it has died it will spring back if you keep it watered.
          "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

I've never had any luck transplanting them as they have a deep tap root. I collected seed and sprinkled them where I wanted them

Now they grow everywhere - it's a good job that the seedlings are easily identified, so I can hoe them off where I don't want them
            Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 19-08-2013, 10:34 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
              I've never had any luck transplanting them as they have a deep tap root. I collected seed and sprinkled them where I wanted them

Now they grow everywhere - it's a good job that the seedlings are easily identified, so I can hoe them off where I don't want them
              It's odd how different we can be with things like this isn't it? I dug up all the ones that were in the wrong place and replanted them. Some were huge but everyone of them, after quite a sulk in some cases, recovered and either grew on or made new growth from the bottom. A lot of mine this year came from plants I'd pulled up at the end of the season and thrown onto bare soil last year to rot down.

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

That's gardening for you
                Different soil, different micro climate, different gardener, they all make a difference

Comment

VVG very kindly sent me some seeds a couple of seasons ago. I now have a field of Borage . Don't mind at all though, as you say, the bees love it, the flowers look brilliant frozen in ice cubes and it makes fabulous fertiliser. I've also seen an article somewhere that says it's the perfect companion for strawberries, though you'd have to restrain it in my opinion. I originally sowed it as a companion for sprouts to keep the whitefly away.
                  Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Excellent, Thank you all very much.

Seems it maybe something for a large tub?

You mention a long tap root, Will it grow in a 2ft tall fibreglass container?

Its about 2ft wide and 8ft long. I was going to grow horseradish in it. Possibly some mint also.

Looking at it in more detail it seems to have chemicals that deter pests, Could it be used as a spray for other plants i wonder?
                    Last edited by Lazy Gardener; 19-08-2013, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Bees are very attracted to blue/purple flowers. And tee shirts: I got buzzed 3 times y'day, one went right down my top.

Then I realised I had a blue top* on: normally I avoid blue/purple because it doesn't suit me

* if you wear a yellow top, you get covered in pollen beetles
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The longest tap root I've seen is 12" and that was with a long growing season. I really like them as "weeds" (ie self setting wherever), they are starting to develop a role as garden hedges in my bit of ground. I had to put a cage on the cabbages and I just flattened the borage plants to the outside and they carried on growing - didn't placate the butterflies but the bees and hover flies were happy!

Comment

I bought a packet for a few pence end of season last year, but had forgotten why by the time they grew this year. Reading this link however has reminded me it was to use the flowers in salads. Just to see them covered with bees is sufficient justification for growing them!

Borage: Looks Good Enough To Eat

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X