When do I plant Foxglove and poppy seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do I plant Foxglove and poppy seeds

Hi everyone, I have just stolen some foxglove and poppy seeds from my brother-in-law, can I start these off in the greenhouse or should I scatter straight in the garden and when please?

You can start the foxgloves inside but don't keep them there too long, just long enough to grow to pricking out size, or, just scatter them on the ground and thin them when large enough. Poppys like turned soil to germinate which is why you see them in cornfields and not meadows. Scatter them as well.

You can sow both now or wait until spring. Foxgloves are bi-annual and poppys annual.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Oh good heavens! Chuck them on the soil now where you want them to grow. The seeds are dropping out of my foxgloves and sprout where they fall in a few days. In spring if they are a bit crowded just pull up some of them and plant elsewhere. They will survive any amount of rough treatment, I don't even water in the ones I move. Seems like every seed grows

edit - don't forget where you scatter them though, or you'll forget they are flowers next year and weed them out!
      Last edited by mothhawk; 19-08-2013, 06:37 PM.
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

They're ripening right now, so Nature knows this is the right time to be sowing the seed
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

These are among the hardiest plants, requiring lesser care than other flowering plants. They usually bloom in midsummer. Foxglove is a potent heart medicine IF properly used, but I wouldn’t advise making it yourself since it is also quite poisonous.

Comment

Poppies can be a bit difficult to germinate: I've sown loads in our Wildlife Garden and very few come up.

The best thing, is to sow some every few weeks in autumn, and again in spring
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I would wait till spring for the foxgloves, Im in the north east and sowed mine about 3 months ago and put them in the ground bout a month ago and they have just not grown any more than what they were in the seed tray. Prob try again in the spring if these havent taken off by then x
              If you want to view paradise
              Simply look around and view it.

Comment

Poppies need light to germinate, so make sure the seed bed is fine and smooth, scatter the seeds on the surface, and don't cover them.

Think of Flanders poppies - where the bombs and shells and tanks and trucks turned the soil, they brought buried seeds to the surface, into the light, and that started them into growth, making battlefields of poppies.....
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X