Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking Dahlias for the house?

Hi

My Dahlias have just started flowering and I wondering if it's ok to cut the flowers to take home to the missus? Will it harm the plant? Will it continue to flower?

Thanks

PS Big thanks to NTG for the tubers, they are coming up lovely!

I'm no expert but I think it should encourage more flowering. I think you have to cut just the opened flower off because I believe buds won't open if cut. Should look beautiful though. Someone more expert will come along soon.

Comment

I'm no expert either, but I think dahlias are like sweet peas, the more you cut them,the more flowers they produce.

valmarg

Comment

I grow them on the lottie specifically for cut flowers, especially new baby.

Dahlias are also a favourite of Sarah Raven and is one of the plants she reccomends for a cutting garden..

Comment

You can cut them all you like Wizer. The more you cut, the more you'll get. But have a ckeck for earwigs before presenting them to your lady.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hints for trapping earwigs. Put a flowerpot on a stick and fill with grass, hay, straw or anything like that. Insert the stick in the ground beside the dahlia. In the morning the earwigs will be in the straw in the pot. Take it off and drown them. It works well.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Another hint to stop earwigs colonizing dahlia flowers - get a pot of old-fashioned Vaseline and smear the stem below the flower with it. Lile climbing a greasy pole!

Comment

Hi Wizer,

Glad they worked for you. They don't last as long as cutflowers as Chrysanths but the ones I sent you will probably give you enough to cut a bunch every 3 or 4 days once they start so go for it they will keep going till the 1st frost then when the tops have wilted cut the tops down to about 4" then lift them and put them upside down on you greenhouse staging and when they've dried out just set them up in trays of dry compost and keep frost free till you need them and give them a couple of sprays of warm water and away they'll go.
                ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

Earwigs are very good mothers! (Can't think of a good word to say about slugs though!)
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                    Hints for trapping earwigs. Put a flowerpot on a stick and fill with grass, hay, straw or anything like that. Insert the stick in the ground beside the dahlia. In the morning the earwigs will be in the straw in the pot. Take it off and drown them. It works well.

HI guys

That is exactly what I did last time... and wallah,

very impressive..

Thanks
                    Last edited by lightson; 26-06-2007, 08:35 AM.
                    make home happy with interior shutters

Comment

thanks all for your advice, the missus will be very pleased.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X