Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So many Poppies (Papavers) - NOT Puppies ;)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love poppies too - but I only grow the varieties where I can eat the seeds. So my choices would be any of the somniferum or paeoniflorum.

I sowed and transplanted 50 poppies this year. The slugs left me 5. Grrrrrrrr.
    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
      I love poppies too - but I only grow the varieties where I can eat the seeds. So my choices would be any of the somniferum or paeoniflorum.

I sowed and transplanted 50 poppies this year. The slugs left me 5. Grrrrrrrr.
      I thought poppies didn't like to be disturbed. Could I try sowing them in trays first then ?
      Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Originally posted by Bal View Post
        I thought poppies didn't like to be disturbed. Could I try sowing them in trays first then ?
        I thought that too - ive always sown annual direct. Perrenials I've started off indoors.

Comment

Does anyone know if I sow several annual variety of poppies together will they cross pollinate?
          I've never worried about crossing before, just collected the annuals and thrown them around but I would like to save some for the flower circle.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            Does anyone know if I sow several annual variety of poppies together will they cross pollinate?
            I've never worried about crossing before, just collected the annuals and thrown them around but I would like to save some for the flower circle.
            If they are in the same poppy family, then yes.

Comment

Oh, bu@@er...that's a no go then! I've loads of self seeded ones that pop up and I'm not pulling them out

Comment

I had what I think is an Opium Poppy just appear on the plot last year - absolutely beautiful. I left the last few flowers to set seed in the autumn so hopefully it'll spread.
                My flower bed was a riot of colour with Californian Poppies and a huge hit with the insects so they'll be in again this year.

Still trying to grow Welsh Poppies though Got some seed last year and nowt! Beginning to think I may need to beg a couple of young seedlings from someone with them in their garden and transplant them to the plot. Ironically, before he met me, Neil had a bag of Welsh Poppy seeds and scattered handfuls of them all over the place on a walk home from the pub one night...and within a year the whole street was a blaze of yellow!!! In fact, when I first moved in I actually cursed them for being so prolific and taking over my tiny front garden! Now I want them on the allotment just for Neil and I cannot get them to grow! Perhaps I may get a surprise or two once the warmer weather arrives.

But yeah, I think you should GROW THEM ALL They're such beautiful but fleeting flowers that you need a few to last all the way through summer.
                If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

My bees love opium poppies...

Comment

Oriental poppies are lovely. Welsh poppies do well if they are mulched with laverbread.

Comment

I've just sown some oriental poppies - coral coloured. I think I should have sown them in Autumn.

Comment

One year on..........

Here I am, going through my flower seeds again and embarrassed to say that I didn't sow any poppies last year, apart from some in a flower seed mix
                        I seem to have even more than last year too
                        How did your poppies grow? Any more advice to a hopeless poppy grower - apart from take the seeds out of the packets and sow them

Comment

Well don't be shy VC...... Tell use what other varieties you've got. To be honest last years list is fairly impressive. I found your list, just in case you forgot

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          Anyone know anything about poppies?

I've been going through my flower seeds, to decide which to grow next year.
                          I lurve Poppies - so bright and cheerful - but there are so many different types that I don't know which to sow

Here are some :-

Icelandic - perennial
                          Orientale - perennial
                          Spanish (Rupifragum) - perennial
                          Welsh (Cambricum) aka Meconopsis Cambrica - perennial
                          Bracteatum - perennial

Californian (Eschscholzia californica) - annual
                          Shirley & Flanders (Rhoeas) - annual
                          Somniferum (Opium) - annual
                          Paeoniflorum aka Somniferum var. Paeoniflorum - annual
                          Laciniatum (sub type of Somniferum) - annual
                          Commutatum (Ladybird) - annual
                          Glaucum (Tulip poppy) - annual

Please tell me which ones you grow and recommend. Any tips appreciated.
                          Thanks
                          Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          Here I am, going through my flower seeds again and embarrassed to say that I didn't sow any poppies last year, apart from some in a flower seed mix
                          I seem to have even more than last year too
                          How did your poppies grow? Any more advice to a hopeless poppy grower - apart from take the seeds out of the packets and sow them
                          I love Poppy's. But I only grow 2 varieties. A pink and a purple, I don't know the variety because they are from seeds my Nan saved in 2010.
                          Never had a problem getting them to grow. They get treated the same as everything else. Sown in trays, pricked out into pots when big enough, when bigger moved outside to harden off and grow a bit more, planted out when big enough to cope with slug & vole attack.

Comment

I'm not really a flower fan, but I love poppies!! I've only ever tried one unknown variety, but have a few to try next year. I just chuck them in some soil and leave them to it, then collect the seeds once they're dry. Simples

Comment

I did sow welsh ones last year and guess what.....................the little blighters done nuffin!
                              I have been through by seed box and found s/s opium poppy, field poppy and something that says bush poppy what ever that was and will bung/scatter them in the patch reserved as the meadow area sometime this week. There is a lot of seed so not fussed if quite a few rot.

I have bought hens and chicks to plant in the veg patch next year as I now have dry flower ideas running through my head. One day I will make my life easy

My advice. Find a space, bung 'em in whenever as I doubt you want to say the same again next year. Unless you want to make it an annual tradition

Edit: I did sow some bread seed poppies as well but they also decided not to play. I might as well throw those in the meadow patch
                              Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 23-11-2016, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                                Well don't be shy VC...... Tell use what other varieties you've got. To be honest last years list is fairly impressive. I found your list, just in case you forgot
                                Sorry to disappoint you, SP, but that's all I have I updated the list last night - but I have lots of varieties of some - if that makes it more impressive

Maybe, just maybe, I'll sow a different poppy in each of the ?30 beds and see what comes up. Or I'll throw all the seeds in a bag, mix them up and scatter the lot.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X