ID help please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID help please

Not a brilliantly helpful time of year to be asking this but I'm sure someone on here will have some ideas about what this is. We've been in the house two and a half years now and I've not seen this before this autumn, but I've been doing a lot of tidying up and sorting of beds since we arrived as everything was pretty overgrown and alsorts has been sprouting up after the ivy etc was all removed.
    Anyone any ideas what this is?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0748-540x960.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	2405564

Might be Mahonia, if it is you will see small yellow pleasantly scented flowers in spring.

ETA:
    Actually, I don't think it is Mahonia leaves look more like holly. Someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.
    Last edited by scarey55; 06-01-2018, 04:29 PM. Reason: Not so sure now
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

I know what you mean scarey, mahonia japonica had crossed my mind but I think the leaves are too big and a bit light maybe. It does appear to just be a seedling though so could be.

Comment

Christmas rose?
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hellebore of some sort.

Comment

Hellebore maybe. You got any nearby?
            Looks like seedling and probably won't flower this year.
            Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

How's that for group think!
              Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Great minds, Danny & Nicos. Looks like the one that has green flowers.

This one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helleborus_argutifolius
                Last edited by veggiechicken; 06-01-2018, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Corsican hellebore. Grown about 1m high and has greenish/yellow flowers and self seeds freely. To the right of it is a cyclamen possibly napolitain which also self seeds to the point of a weed.
                  Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Foetida? Grows like a weed here.
                    Last edited by DannyK; 06-01-2018, 05:45 PM.
                    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Awesome, thanks everyone, that's what it'll be, I've got a couple of purple ones and a white/green flowered one and at the old stocks round the corner there is a lovely clump of the green flowered one. Was wondering about borrowing a couple of offsets from it in the future but looks like I don't have to bother now.

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
                        Corsican hellebore. Grown about 1m high and has greenish/yellow flowers and self seeds freely. To the right of it is a cyclamen possibly napolitain which also self seeds to the point of a weed.
                        Had Corsican but it died after flowering. Are they short lived or was it me?
                        Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

No they are not short lived so it must have been you,sorry.
                          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X