lavender

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lavender

hello there, im a newbie and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on taking cuttings of lavender, when and how plse. I want a row of lavender in pots all down the side of my new greenhouse. Did i mention I have a new greenhouse im so excited, I thought pots of lavender down one side would look nice, that would be down the side of my new greenhouse

Hi

I have just pieces out of other lavenders which I have and planted them and they have grown.
    Bye

PT

Carpe Diem

The way I see it, if you want the rainbow you have got to put up with the rain!

http://heifer73.blogspot.com/

Comment

Lol Sindy. I guess you're excited about having a new greenhouse

I know cuttings are supposed to be relatively easy to take but I've never done it myself. I also want to take Lavendar cuttings this year so will be keeping a close eye on this thread
      Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

How about from seed?

I've found lavender really easy from seed. Find someone with some lovely lavender and beg some flower stalks...they are probably full of seed at this time.

Planted mine in a small pot (and it was old seed, at least 3 seasons old) in spring, now have 15 sturdy plants to go somewhere (perhaps not directly into my very heavy clay)

Good luck!:
        Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Pull off a bit with a little bit of old wood (it's called a heel) and trim it so there's not a big bit to go soft or rotted. Put several around the edge of a small pot in a fairly sandy/gritty free draining compost. Bung it in a cold frame or under a sheet of glass for a few months. Bob's your uncle. They won't all grow but a substantial proportion should.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks Flummery... in laymans [sp] terms too, yeeaah!
            Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

I just cut off a woody bit, stuff it in the ground, stamp teh ground firm and go away.

Isn't nature wonderful!

Comment

i've got a few shrubs i want to take cuttings of, mainly lavender and various hebes - tried it before and they all failed
                have read various methods in books etc - they all kinda say put several cuttings in each pot
                one says to cover the pots with plastic bag and reverse it every day to control moisture, another says to cover with jam jar, another says nothing about covering them
                some say to use rooting powder and seed / cutting compost, others say nothing (like they assume we know what we're doing)
                i've tried all methods so far with abolutely no success
                but i haven't tried the "stick em in the ground" method ..... yet !
                http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Madasafish View Post
                  I just cut off a woody bit, stuff it in the ground, stamp teh ground firm and go away.

Isn't nature wonderful!
                  Lol, even better. That's definately my style.. It has to be tough to survive me
                  Shortie

Comment

I have to add: you need damp but not waterlogged ground.
                    An alternative it to layer a growing branch.. cover the branch with soil and leave it pegged to the ground whilst still attached to the plant. Works for blackberries.. slower for lavender.
                    Last edited by Madasafish; 23-08-2007, 12:04 PM.

Comment

i have taken cuttings of lavender (and sage and rosemary) the way flummery described above just recently. i tried once before, keeping the pots under plastic bags, but they all failed. and once again without bags and again they all failed. this time i used rooting powder, and it seems they have started to take already. so that's what i'd reccommend.
                      also i didn't realise lavender was easy to grow from seed, for some reason i was under the impression they were difficult. i shall be saving some seed from now on!

Comment

I didnt realise lavendar was so easy either - I have a very old very woody speciman which I shall now try to propogate from (if that was english?!) so thanks all for yet more useful advice!!
                        Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X