Wisteria seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisteria seeds

has anyone tried to grow their wisteria from seeds?, easy?, hard?, I see them for sale but just how well do they germinate?, I have grown lots of different types of seeds but have to be careful now with reduced mobility so I really want to know how well the seeds grow, and in 12 week lockdown..

At our age it would be better just to buy a plant unless wanting to try to grow them from seed. McLarens at Uplawmoor have some excellent plants. See there web page.
    Trust this helps.
    Bob.

Comment

On the RHS web site they say seed grown Wisteria can take 20 years to flower !!, They recommend layering as a propagation method.
      https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/popula.../growing-guide

Comment

I grew some wisteria from seed, not too hard to germinate. I managed to grow them on for a several years but only one made it out into the garden and that died a couple of years ago - not enough care and attention I guess.

TBH when I bought the seed I didn't realise how long they would take to flower. 20+ years is a bit much even for me. If I was starting again I'd ask around for someone who had a plant I could try growing layers from - most gardeners love to share - especially if you grow some spare plants and pass a few back into the system from time to time.

Happy gardening :-)

Comment

I wouldn't try from seed to be honest, my bought plant took about 5 years to start flowering, I do love it, but its a bit of a thug

Comment

many thanks to you all, I think I will go to mclarens..

Comment

I've been growing seeds from my own wisteria for about 8 years - so I've only got another 12 to find out if successful...

Germinates pretty well, I get between 50 and 100% success. But it is a bit of a long-term hobby...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X