Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds as if everyone is busy seed saving, really can't wait for the Bloody Butcher tom - sounds tasty. I've changed what I'm seed saving, not saving Reisetomate (mouldy before they ripen - seriously don't like growing in Fort William), I'm not saving Black Sea Man as people already have it. Haven't decided which tomato to save - maybe Cabot?, probably another as well. Also thinking perhaps about saving Canadian Soup Pea and perhaps cherokee woman bush bean. Not growing lablab beans this year - time raced by. I'm not brave enough to seed save squashes
    Last edited by FROSTYFRECKLE; 16-07-2010, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FROSTYFRECKLE View Post
      . I'm not brave enough to seed save squashes
      Oh no, is there something I don't know frosty?! Why do I need to be brave? I must admit I am worried about you all growing my saved potimarron next year and finding that you have a strange cross developing instead of a poti! Now you've got me worried!!:confused
      http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

• Jackyspratty, there is nothing I can tell you about seed saving from squashes as what I know can be written on the back of a postage stamp I'm looking forward to getting your potimarron seeds, in fact I'm looking forward to receiving all of the seeds.

Comment

• Which brings me to the next topic; distribution.....

It's gonna get far too messy if we all start sending seeds to everyone; so I was going to propose the following....

All send a large envelope with the seed in it to a central person. All to put their address into the envelope with another large letter [or the equivalent postage] stamp in the envelope. We might have to look into the appropriate postage at the time...but 15 bags of seed should be able to be put into a large envelope and get through large letter stamp size...failing that, 2 envelopes and 2 large letter stamps each should do it.

Central person gets seed, and sorts into 15 piles.

Piles get put into envelope, address and stamp onto envelope and then sent off.

Probably best done around either Nov time or Jan time; to avoid Christmas and to make sure seed is fully dry.

Otherwise, it's gonna cost each person 15 ish second class stamps and 15ish envelopes.
          Last edited by zazen999; 16-07-2010, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• Sounds like a plan m'dear. Glad one of us is on the ball

Comment

• Don't worry - this isn't another 'the next person has automatically volunteered themselves' post.....I'm happy to do it.

I think it's the best solution to be honest.

Comment

• Ha! I hadn't even thought of that I'd'a been suckered!

Comment

• I was actually thinking the same thing - and would have volunteered!
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• Ok - I've started harvesting my Tender and True Parsnips; one big shoebox drying and new heads being added every few days.

Choiggia - getting further on and 'nubs' drying off

Chantenay carrot; still flowering but some are starting to dry off

Comment

• Spaghetti Squash aren't F1 are they as I was gonna save some seed for you lovely lot?
                      Bex

Comment

• Just to let you know that I may have to pull out of the circle. Have been out of action for a bit due to a small op (nothing serious but laid me up for a bit). Went to lotty to check on squash just before going into hospital and something has munched my squashes, I will post a picture tonight if I can.

Dont think its slugs as it was proper bites? Mice maybe? I cant use traps etc at the site as there are kids there plus peoples dogs etc. I think it maybe too late to pollinate fruit that coming through, or will it not matter if they are small? Not sure at what size the seeds develop?

I have pictures of the smaler squash bitten but my camera ran out of charge before I could pictures of larger ones.

Sorry to let you al down at this late stage in the game but thought I should prewarn you. Will pop up tomorrow to see if any further damage done. Been a bit of a carp year for my plots so far this year!

Comment

• Never mind Donna - I'll still happily put in stuff for you.
                          My Magnum Bonum peas are drying happily but the Bird's Egg beans are only just in flower.
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• Just a thought but I could attempt to do trombocino di albenga? This is shooting up in my back garden at the moment over a cheap lidle arch (hope it will take the weight!?)
                            Thanks Flum, thats really kind of you, but it wouldnt feelright if I cant share something in return. There are some unbitten potimarrons but i cant vouch for their purity! So I could still share them but it would be a pot luck! Im looking for ones still to flower but I think his may be too late??
                            Feeling a biy autumnal already in leeds

Any objections to trombocino climbing cougette?

Comment

• No objections, but once you are in the circle, there's no leaving.

Mwa hahahahahaha

Comment

• Climbing courgettes sound interesting, never grown them. Mind you pot-luck potimarron sound interesting as well

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X