Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry everyone been away for chrimbo! In terms of seed saved for this year, my cupboard is bare! We were/are complete novices, so we ate everything that was successful I'm afraid! Didn't think of planning ahead!

However, we were successful on freecycle and a kind lady gave us a bag of seeds, containing new packets of seeds. Nothing exotic, or adventourous, I'm afraid but I will search out and prepare a list. This can be either sown 2010 or shared now. If this is not suitable then any advise on alternatives appreciated. Bit worried I'm gonna be an embarressiing failure at this

Will try and locate file and post a list as soon as.
    donnax
    http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

I'm growing for the first time this year as havnt had anywhere to grow except few tubs and two small beds in the back yard. So I dont have any seed as yet. I will be using tubs and builders ton bags filled with a mix of year old horse manure, soil (looks ok) and old compost (unused, but old)
      So can I have suggestions for container varietis of
      beans (not broad though YEAUUCH)
      toms (i think i should be looking at bush varieties?)
      peas courgette
      carrot peppers
      beetroot
      brocoli
      kale
      cabbage/spring greens
      cauli
      And a totally stupid question Ive seen tomato green zebra in a catologue but not labeled as heritage..is it the same one?
      Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

You could grow dwarf french beans in containers. Early Warwick and Soldier are two that I have if you'd like a few seeds?
        Green Zebra is a heritage. It wasn't available commercially until very recently. I got mine by buying a plant and saving the seeds. I can save you some this year if you like. (only got a few left as I've been dishing them out!) I grow it every year.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Once we've got everyone's lists up - even if it is one variety for 2010, then we can all choose one to grow to share in 2010 and one to grow on to share in 2011.

It's best for those that are new to grow something easy for the first time; and then the more experienced can cross that off their list and grow something else. If someone wants to grow to share and hasn't any open pollinated seeds; then some of us with plenty can send a variety on to them for growing.

I'll update the initial post with some choices as the list grows.

Comment

Sorry for my delay, but number 8 checking in.

Will have a look through my collection this afternoon, and post all that I have. I am also seed poor, havent really saved anything before apart from toms and beans but hoping thats about to change.
            Bob Leponge
            Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

This year I only grew a few of varieties of french/pole beans, but as we have cleared more land I am planning to grow a lot more in 2010. It goes without saying that I want to save seed from them, to use myself and share. I am however concerned about cross pollination so want to make doubly sure that it is not a problem with french/pole bean as I know Runners and Broadies cross readily.

I have copied this for the Real Seed Website -

The physical seed-saving is easy, but the need for isolation (to keep the seed true to type) depends on the species:
              French Beans don't usually cross with each other, so you can save seed from several varieties without worry.
              Runner Beans DO cross very easily, so only grow one type if you want to keep the seed.
              Broad Beans also cross A LOT and are hard to keep for seed as you need to isolate them from others with 1/2 a mile or so.
              Also, be sure that you don't plant types with similar-coloured seeds next to each other, otherwise you'll not be sure which plant they come from!
              More detailed seed-saving instructions are included with your seeds, so you can do all this yourself at home.

Just looking for reassurance as dont want to muck things up

Comment

Ooo, Jilly, that is really helpful. I had sort of thought about x-pollination and thought that meant I could only grow one variety of anything I TRY to grow for heritage saving.
                So I wont try heritage runner beans cos Ive already got ordinary seed for 2/3 varieties. Will check around to see of anyone near is growing broad beans, intended to grow these as heritage cos i love the flowers but hate the beans, so no hardship to leave these for seed .
                Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

it's hilly, I've got spare Green Zebra if you still want some. PM me your details.

Comment

Originally posted by its hilly View Post
                    Ooo, Jilly, that is really helpful. I had sort of thought about x-pollination and thought that meant I could only grow one variety of anything I TRY to grow for heritage saving.
                    So I wont try heritage runner beans cos Ive already got ordinary seed for 2/3 varieties. Will check around to see of anyone near is growing broad beans, intended to grow these as heritage cos i love the flowers but hate the beans, so no hardship to leave these for seed .
                    Hi.

If you have a look at the 'how to save seed' link that I put in the first post - it is all in there which crosses with which - it goes through each veg type and explains how to save it and the problems with cross-fertilisation in each case.

Comment

I have been mulling over saving seeds from Peppers and Chillies but know that they easily cross. Not wanting to limit my self to one variety I started thinking about isolation cages and building my own.

Great info on Zaz's first link on this but then I though of this

Wilko Laundry Hamper Pop Up at Wilkinson Plus

Do you think it would work, in door use only I suggest, up turned over a plant

Comment

I can't see why not, if the material is just net-curtain type stuff, which is what it looks like! Probably a lot cheaper than trying to make a frame too

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                          I can't see why not, if the material is just net-curtain type stuff, which is what it looks like! Probably a lot cheaper than trying to make a frame too
                          Glad you agree, perhaps its not a crazy idea after all

Probably a lot cheaper that trying to make one myself as I would probably mess up on my first attempt and need to start again knowing me

Comment

Proberbly cheaper than buying the materials, never mind making, they look brilliant. Thanks Jilly
                            Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Looks great - cue all of us trundling to Wilko's to pick one up!

Comment

only 1 Zaz? thinking of my poor cabbages too
                                Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X