Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daubenton's (perennial) kale- where can I get some?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daubenton's (perennial) kale- where can I get some?

Anyone know?

Or even better, does anyone have a bit I could swap for something? I have a random selection of herbs and plants I could take cuttings from in exchange.

Thanks!
    My spiffy new lottie blog

Pennard's sell green & variegated plants ....

Seeds, Eclectic Victorian Vegetable Seed from Pennard Plants
    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

I have some seeds if you're interested.

Comment

Ooh, thanks! Pennards are fairly local, so I might even manage to get to an open day!

And if I don't, I might take you up on that Veggiechicken (though I didn't know you could get seeds!), it's maybe a bit late for starting it off from seed this year though, so I'all try track down a plant first...

Comment

If you remind me in march I can take some cuttings. I have Daubenton, Duabenton Panache (variagated) and Taunton Deane.

VC I am intrigued you have seed, I didn't think perennial kale went to seed. Do you know the variety etc.?

Comment

The Heritage Seed Library often has Daubenton Kale seeds
            Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 23-09-2014, 01:30 PM.

Comment

My Daubenton seed came from the HSL - and I've grown some kale from the seeds

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                If you remind me in march I can take some cuttings. I have Daubenton, Duabenton Panache (variagated) and Taunton Deane.

VC I am intrigued you have seed, I didn't think perennial kale went to seed. Do you know the variety etc.?
                I may take you up on that offer Norfolkgrey Can swap for some Daubenton seeds!

Comment

I think I will have to now, just to see if your seeds come close to my plant, seeing as in theory they should be the same.

Comment

Ooh! I missed that post Norfolkgrey! It's looking like I won't make it to a Pennards open day, and £7.50 + £8.00 postage is too much for a kale plant, even one as interesting as that, but I'll try and remember in March!

Is there anything I might have you'd want to swap for?

Comment

Originally posted by hamamelis View Post
                      Is there anything I might have you'd want to swap for?
                      I love weird and wonderfuls, but otherwise I am up for a surprise (I am a big kid at heart)

Comment

Hi all, I have some kale - first year for me, but for the life of me cannot remember it's name 😞 thinking something like black Toscana but have probably made that up! It's doing well though, I've been harvesting it from the bottom and it's now like a walking stick with leaves at the top. Not sure if this is how you are supposed to do it but it's going well! From seed and it was really easy too 😀
                        You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Yes you're doing it right ancee

It has several names: Nero di toscana, cavolo nero, lacinato kale, dinosaur kale, black Tuscan cabbage. Can anyone think of any more?

Comment

Originally posted by Zelenina View Post
                            Yes you're doing it right ancee

It has several names: Nero di toscana, cavolo nero, lacinato kale, dinosaur kale, black Tuscan cabbage. Can anyone think of any more?
                            None if which are perennial though (unfortunately)

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                              None if which are perennial though (unfortunately)
                              That's true Alison. You can also call it Tuscan Palm Kale and it's still not perennial

I have some kale plants that have survived outdoors in pots through two Slovak winters, one very hard and long with deep snow, and the other unusually mild. They have flowered and set seeds twice, and are still producing. But none of them are supposed to be perennials. They are Thousand Headed, which is the strongest and most prolific, Vates Blue Curled which is smaller but tastier, and Scarlet which is very small but hardy. They probably crossed with each other, so I might get something interesting when I grow out the seeds.

When I've done my necessary month and 50 I'd like some of your Daubenton seeds, VC, if you have plenty to spare, or maybe some cuttings Norfolkgrey, if I happen to be in East Anglia at the right time. I can probably find something weird and wonderful and surprising to swap with.
                              Last edited by Zelenina; 12-10-2014, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X