Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a big difference between saving seeds for your own use and passing them on to others as a named variety. For example, I let my kales cross with each other and self seed but I wouldn't swap the seeds with anyone else because they are unpredictable.
    Seeds saved from supermarket produce should also NOT be swapped as they may have come from F1 plants or have been cross pollinated. Any that come into the VSP are dumped.

Comment

What's the score with sweetcorn? - Is it possible ?
      .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

^^^^sweetcorn can be saved. You should ideally only grow one variety as it will cross with others and as already mentioned there are only a handful of open pollinated varieties so if saved from F1 it is uncertain what the offspring will be like

Comment

I guess sarico's italian seeds are open pollinated, but last year I get cobs that have no much kernels. may be tall and sturdy sunflowers next them obstructed much of wind .. has any one able to get good cobs and saved seed ?
          Last edited by Elfeda; 04-02-2016, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            Seeds saved from supermarket produce should also NOT be swapped as they may have come from F1 plants or have been cross pollinated.
            Although new to seed saving (in fact i`m a virgin to it) i wouldn't ever use supermarkets produce anyway,the one reason i grow my own in the first place is to steer clear of the bland rubbish the supermarkets churn out.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfeda View Post
              last year I get cobs that have no much kernels. may be tall and sturdy sunflowers next them obstructed much of wind
              The reason is poor pollination. As you say, the sunflowers may have been some of the problem but you also need to grow them in a very large block just growing half a dozen or more can lead to pollination issue and bald patches/not may kernels.

Comment

First question please... (I'm planning!) sugar snap peas and borlotti beans - will they cross or are they safe growing together?

Comment

They won't interbreed, their relationship is too distant. Go for it!
                  My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                  Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

What's the deal with chillies? Are they safe like tomatoes or do they need to be isolated?
                    Forgive me for my pages of text.

Comment

There's a few hints and tips here. Chillies and peppers will cross if grown side by side.
                      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...6-a_88250.html

Either bag a flower (those little wedding favour bags are ideal) bag the plant. Or isolate one plant indoors, just one variety in the GH etc.

Comment

They need to be isolated Akion. There is chilli seed swap with a link to saving chilli seed here somewhere

saved me searchingfor the link Scarlet, ty
                        Last edited by jackarmy; 09-03-2016, 06:33 PM.

Comment

I got in before you Jack

Comment

Lol you two, off to the chilli thread then!
                            Forgive me for my pages of text.

Comment

I've just bought a load of wedding favour bags from @m@zon specially for chillies. They were super cheap!!

Comment

I had a pack of 50 as a Christmas present. My Mum was briefly hoping she needed to buy a hat...!
                                http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X