X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carly View Post
    Hi,
    I have been signposted to you. I will be trying to grow the blue poppy this year. Is vermiculite organic?
    Or can I use any acidic compost?
    Vermiculite is a mineral and as far as I am aware it is ph neutral.

Comment

Hi Carly
      I don't think the sowing compost needs to be acidic - I tend to just use shop-bought seed compost but I usually add quite a lot of drainage into it, either grit, perlite or vermiculite.

Meconopsis seeds are tiny, and need a spell of cold and also light to germinate. I sowed them on the top of the soil, but just added a thin sprinkle of vermiculite to stop them drying out. I'm not sure the vermiculite was necessary to be honest - just don't cover the seeds with soil as they need light.

I'd also put them in the fridge for a few weeks to give them the 'winter experience' which they need to get going (though the seedlings didn't appear until a few weeks after the fridge).

I think now is a good time to sow, in my experience they took a long long time to grow into seedlings, and they won't flower until the following year. The most annoying thing was, at one stage I had about 20 good seedlings, but then virtually all of them were eaten in one night by a slug. So make sure to put your seedlings in a place which slugs can't reach, or put a strip of the adhesive copper tape around the pots.

Good luck!

Comment

Sorry for the delay. Your seeds are now winging their way to you. Thank you for support and kindness

Comment

Thank you NG.... can't wait to see that pack!

Comment

Just received, and wow! What a fabulous range of flowers, I can't wait to get started with them. I share the seeds with my elderly mum, who loves new flowers, so she'll be every bit as chuffed as I am.

Thanks to everyone in the circle, and a special thanks to NG for organising it

Will post update/photos later in year.

Comment

Originally posted by WPG View Post
              Just received, and wow! What a fabulous range of flowers, I can't wait to get started with them. I share the seeds with my elderly mum, who loves new flowers, so she'll be every bit as chuffed as I am.

Thanks to everyone in the circle, and a special thanks to NG for organising it

Will post update/photos later in year.
              Oh good, glad it got there ok. I was a little worried your parcel looked a bit fat Can't wait to see your piccies

Comment

It's pouring down here so Ive not been and looked yet!

Comment

I'm so excited and I just can't hide it......

Todays super happy dance goes to WPG for Thalictrum aquilegiafolium. Admittedly I only have 2 seedlings that have literally just popped, but they have popped! Yay! Yay! Yay! I may even have to go and share the lurve.

Just in case you weren't sure, I am super happy. Thank you

Comment

Scarlet???

I don't suppose you have remember what the pink with frosty foliage are? I have rather a few germinated any more details will be greatly appreciated....please

Comment

Haha! Nope.....I can picture them beautifully but the name escapes me. I seem to have brain fog where flower names are concerned!
                      I'll go and g@@gle it..... And

Comment

IT didn't take long! Rose campion.

Comment

Oh fantastic. I love it, last lot of seed I only had a few germinate. From the description I was thinking something heuchara like. Thank you Scarlet - for seed (again) and finding a name

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X