No announcement yet.

Potatoes at Christmas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the advice. I had better stop chitting and get them in the tubs asap - ohterwise I wont have any spuds for christmas

Comment

Aye think I will do the same. Will stick with the smaller tubs. On closer inspection the water but has a hose outlet at the bottom so may use it to irrigates beans or something next year. If it ever stops raining of course
      WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Hi All,

Has anyone tried growing Cyprus potatoes?
        Cheers

Danny

Comment

Hi i.m currently chitting carlingford seed potatoes. They are going in a potato barrell. Can someone explain why the Green chits are bad. Most of my chits are green. They are on a windowsill at present. Also if i put them in the garage when it says we are likely to have a frost will that be ok. What happens if they get too much water. do they rot.? Do they need loads of daylight or just a few hours. I was just thinking if too much water is a problem maybe i could put a board over the top of them, too control the water but got too thinking about the light issue. I couldnt put an umbrella over mine as we get exceedingly windy conditions where we live all year round has anyone got any other ideas. Advice always needed. cheers. judith .

Comment

My potato barrell instructions say to put 3 inches of gravel or grit in the bottom then 3 inches of compost then your potatoes then cover with 6 inches of compost. I'M guessing the grit in the bottom is too help with drainage am i right.? Would i need in that case to put drainage holes in the bottom of my barrell. My barrell has a lift up sleeve to access your potatoes when they are supposedly ready. Please advise. Thankyou.

Comment

Originally posted by Megans-mum View Post
              My potato barrell instructions say to put 3 inches of gravel or grit in the bottom then 3 inches of compost then your potatoes then cover with 6 inches of compost. I'M guessing the grit in the bottom is too help with drainage am i right.? Would i need in that case to put drainage holes in the bottom of my barrell. My barrell has a lift up sleeve to access your potatoes when they are supposedly ready. Please advise. Thankyou.
              You will need to make drainage holes so that the spuds don't drown with the lovely weather!
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

i have Maris Peers in pots and some of the stems have broken, i have earthed them up as much as possible, but think the slugs have been at them, do you think they will still be ok, i have now stalked the remaining stems so that they are upright, but i dont want to lose my crop!!!!

i am gonna put them in the greenhouse when the toms are finished, will they grow down below the soil without any leaves at the top??

Cheers x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X