Bay tree cuttings in a blowaway?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay tree cuttings in a blowaway?

We're about to almost empty our blowaway and will have a bit of space in there.

I have a bay tree which needs a darned good haircut and it seems such a waste composting the leaves.
    Normally I run a seed and plant swap and take along all the clippings which others seem very pleased to take away and dry or grow on.

So-this time I'm thinking of trying to propergate some myself to give away later.

I've managed to propergate Rosemary before - should I do a similar method?...

Would the pot be better just outdoors in the shade or inside the blowaway given we're in for a few cooler nights ahead?
    Any tips would be gratefully received!
    ta muchly
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

I think outdoors would be best. Bay are pretty tough, and too much heat would be nothing but harmful for cuttings.

Bay need to be propagated from softwood or semi-ripe cuttings, so discard anything which isn't this year's growth, as it almost certainly won't root.

Comment

Brill thanks!
      Same way as a rosemary cutting?
      ie 5" with bottom 2" stripped bare and dunked into hormone rooting powder?
      Then several pushed into a pot of potting compost , well watered, then a plastic bag sealed around the top?

Is that overkill for a hardy plant? -does it need the plastic bag if it's constantly in the shade?
      ....does it root readily or really need the hrp dip ?

I'm thinking of going 30-40 so don't want to get it wrong!!!!

Comment

I'd say out doors too - I find somewhere very shady like on the north side of wall works well in the Summer. For anyone trying this method directly in the ground, make sure the soil is soaked first and if in doubt put a clear plastic bag over the cutting to cut down on water loss via transpiration.

Comment

^^^ can do that!
          what about the hrp ? Do it really need it?
          I do have a small amount but am reluctant to break lockdown just for some hormone rooting powder.....

Comment

I wouldn't bother with HRP for most cuttings - there are some extremely tricky things where you need all the help you can get, unless you have a hot bench and a mist propagator, but I don't think Bay is one of them.
            Last edited by nickdub; 03-06-2020, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X