No announcement yet.

GH door open, how to keep 'pests' out?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GH door open, how to keep 'pests' out?

So we're thinking of our hols in July and want to leave the GH door open. But we've already had unwanted visitors when we forgot to close the door a couple of nights back. Muntjac deer! They've been nibbling stuff in the beds but this time had a nibble of the scotch bonnet pepper plant too!

I think if we left the door open while we went away we'd come back to no gh plants.

So any ideas on how to 'cover' the gap? I've seen 'fly chains' but no good because they part open too easily...
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Have you considered removing the glass from the door, rather than leaving the door open? They you could temporarily fit chicken wire or something over the gaps to keep animals out.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
      Have you considered removing the glass from the door, rather than leaving the door open? They you could temporarily fit chicken wire or something over the gaps to keep animals out.
      What a brilliant idea.

Comment

Not within my capability tbh. But also if I was going to mess around with chicken wire I could just put that in front of the opening.
        Last edited by smallblueplanet; 26-06-2024, 03:08 PM.

Comment

If you have a standard aluminium-framed greenhouse then the glass is very easily removed. You just remove the W clips from the frame, and it pops right out. Then to put it back you just place the glass back in the frame and put the clips back it.

Comment

Could you do the chicken wire in front of the opening idea or anything in front that can’t be moved or climbed over?
            edit - the recycle centre might have something suitable?
            Last edited by Jungle Jane; 26-06-2024, 03:43 PM.

Comment

If you have a standard aluminium-framed greenhouse then the glass is very easily removed. You just remove the W clips from the frame, and it pops right out. Then to put it back you just place the glass back in the frame and put the clips back it.
              Our glass has bar capping. I'll think about in front.
              Last edited by smallblueplanet; 26-06-2024, 03:44 PM.

Comment

We just framed a piece of chicken wire to fit perfectly into the gap between the open door and its frame. Jammed into place by closing the door sideways against it.
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                  We just framed a piece of chicken wire to fit perfectly into the gap between the open door and its frame. Jammed into place by closing the door sideways against it.
                  I could probably manage this with the aid of a staple gun.

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post

I could probably manage this with the aid of a staple gun.
                    Oh yes!….Gals’ toys!

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I would do as Nicos suggests but would also cover wire mesh with some enviromesh or net curtain to keep out birds ans small animals
                      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X