• Show
Clear All

• Lesley Jay
    replied
    You are welcome Mrs D.!

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Dobby
    replied
    Went to get the glass for the greenhouse roof today, from LJ's OH at Nova glass in Altrincham, got there, asked for the greenhouse glass for Mr and Mrs Read, only to be told nope, nothing doing! We do however have some greenhouse glass for Mr Lee Dobby!!

LJ, that had us laughing our socks off for about an hour! Anyhows, glass got, a slow drive back to the lottie and finally finished glazing it at 7pm tonight! Tis fun trying to fit the last run of panes when its gone dark! Challenging, but its finally done! Just a shame we finished so late, as I couldnt take a piccy to show you all! Ah well, on holiday next week, so will get some piccies then!

Many thanks LJ for the help, and say thanks to your OH for the good price! It was really appreciated!

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Dobby
    replied
    Good luck skegblade! Putting the frame back together wasnt too hard on the one we got, it was the cleaning and glazing that seemed to take forever, so if not glazing it shouldnt be too bad! Hope you get some good weather to get it up! (Oooer missus!)

We are hoping to get the roof glass and finish erecting it on Tuesday, assuming the weather is not too bad! I dont mind working in the rain, but not when it means raising your arms above your head, cant abide water running down my sleeves and inside my coat!

Leave a comment:

• skegblade
    replied
    The greenhouse cum fruit cage arrives next week; all I have to do now is arrange a couple of days off work so I can erect it

Leave a comment:

• JennieAtkinson
    replied
    Actually I meant to mention this last week, as I saw a polytunnel here covered in wind break fabric. Heck of alot easier than putting on plastic and probably very effective for the summer months.

Leave a comment:

• skegblade
    replied
    I agree Mrs D; brilliant idea Ugly Gourd. My brother in law has a 10 x 8 greenhouse with no glass that he doesn't want and I can have if I take it away; will be seeing him tomorrow and the GH will be mentioned; I'm going to need some form of fruit cage next year; problem solved

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Dobby
    replied
    Originally posted by Lesley Jay View Post
    Hi Mrs D.! I have sent you a PM. The glass will not be a problem I just need the correct sizes.
    Thanks LJ, PM replied to, thats a darn good price, many thanks and we will take you up on the offer!

Originally posted by ugly gourd View Post
    If you get a greenhouse but no glass just net it great fruit cage!!
    Genius!!!!!!! What a great idea!!!!! I was thinking of using thickish branches to make a fruit cage, as our strawbs and rasps have been hit hard by the local birdies, and the price of commercial ones is a bit steep, but thats such a good idea I may have to try it! Wonder where I can get some more greenhouses without glass!

Leave a comment:

• ugly gourd
    replied
    If you get a greenhouse but no glass just net it great fruit cage!!

Leave a comment:

• Lesley Jay
    replied
    Hi Mrs D.! I have sent you a PM. The glass will not be a problem I just need the correct sizes.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Dobby
    replied
    Originally posted by Lesley Jay View Post
    Give me the sizes of the panes of glass that need replacing and how many there are. My OH works in a glass factory so he will get you a good price.
    LJ, I noticed in another thread you arent too far away from us, and remembering the kind offer of the glass thought I'd just say Hi! We've almost got the greenhouse complete apart from the glass that is missing, which I need to calculate and measure, hopefully tomorrow, so will give you a shout then if thats ok? I think its standard 2' square glass panels that we are short of, and probably about 20 or so of them, but Mr D was down there yesterday fitting the glass, so I dont know if his estimates are anywhere near right, so will check them tomorrow! We have been told by the other plotholders to go to Altrincham Glass as they are quite cheap and do give a little discount to Partington Allotmenteers, so am gonna try them for a price anyhows, and hpefully your OH will be cheaper and we can sort something out!

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Dobby
    replied
    Originally posted by bramble View Post
    Hang on in there Mrs D it will be worth it in the long run. When its all fixed up and you are using it this time next year you'll have forgotton all the trouble you gad getting it erected.
    Thanks Bramble, those words really brought home to us just how much we are gonna enjoy using it! Sometimes a word or two is enough to really bring home what we are going to acchieve with it, and you just made it all come to life for us, so yes, it is a bind doing it now, but it will deffo be well worth it!

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
    Erections always the tricky part Mrs D

My greenhouse is about 9ft 6in in the centre & my steps are only 4ft so I won't tell you how I managd that one
    Lol Nick! I should have known you'd reply with something about erections! lol!

Sounds like yours was a bit of a stretch in putting up Nick! Fortunately we have an aluminium step thingy thats about 3' long and 2' tall, so havent got to move it too often, makes life much easier! (Originally it was bought to get into the back of our old ex army landrover when filling it for camping trips, and does make an excellent and very stable table for camping too!)

Leave a comment:

• nick the grief
    replied
    Erections always the tricky part Mrs D

My greenhouse is about 9ft 6in in the centre & my steps are only 4ft so I won't tell you how I managd that one

Leave a comment:

• bramble
    replied
    Hang on in there Mrs D it will be worth it in the long run. When its all fixed up and you are using it this time next year you'll have forgotton all the trouble you gad getting it erected.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Dobby
    replied
    Well, the greenhouse frame is back up, base of concrete plinths laid, and just as we started glazing it the site admin came and advised us to move it back a couple of feet, as the grass cutters may just catch it on their way past, so had to spend a couple of hours moving it back!

Its bow resited, and we've begun glazing it! The frame went back together easy enough, but cleaning the glass and refitting is a right pain in the behind! Hopefully we'll get it finished this week and then know how much glass and what sizes we need to buy!

Mr D nade the mistake of leaning his cleaned glass against a stool, guess what, stool went over and 3 panes broken, tho think we will be able to use them anyhows!

Overall its going well, just taking far too long to do!

Leave a comment:

• dexterdoglancashire
    replied
    Very funny Mrs D!

I reckon my OH would help, but working in retail at this time of year ie. Christmas, he's already working every hour God sends and it's not enough!

We were due to go to a 21st party tonight, but had to cancel because he's having to work late because his staff are off sick! Bless!

Good luck with the greenhouse! DDL

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X