Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JennieAtkinson
    replied
    I loved your story of the greenhouse Mrs D - you will have such wonderful memories for year's to come of how you got it to the allotment. It was an real LOL story!

Reminds me of when we got a 24 foot mast home down the A13 (on the roof of a Renault 4). The fine was cheaper than the delivery price !

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Dobby
    replied
    Sorry to hear you missed out DinkyDoo! I hope you have better luck next time!

Leave a comment:

• dinky_doo
    replied
    i nearly had a 8x10 greenhouse on wedensday its was in the free ads in our local paper i got the paper at 12 noon rang the ad at 12.05 and it had gone next one has my name on it

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Dobby
    replied
    Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
    It sounds like a worthwhile day Mr & Mrs D! Just got visions of Mr D with no belt around his trousers! (sorry!)
    Despite having an estate car, we picked up my large bench on the sunday and strapped it to the roof - needless to say we came back to Preston from Cleveleys via the A class roads - and yes, quite slowly! well worth it though!
    Have fun putting it back together again! DDL
    It was funny DDL trying to lift in onto the roof of the Panda watching Mr Dobbys pants slide further down his hips!! Just wish they had fallen down and I'd had the camera to hand! lol!

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
    well done to you. You do realise that an 8' x 10' won't be big enough soon
    Yep, already told Mr D that nick! He recons it'll be fine, I on the other hand have huge plans for the greenhouse, today, the greenhouse, tomorrow the world! Mwhaahaa!!

Originally posted by bramble View Post
    Well done Mrs Dobby, it will be well worth it in the end and a great story to tell in the future. Good luck though, the hard part is yet to come, putting it all back together again.
    Thanks Bramble! We are looking forwards to getting it back together, have laid it all out in the right order already, so it shouldnt be too bad, but I guess its going to be more of a challenge than we anticipate!

Sorry Mr D! It was my OH who took mine down, transported it home and put it back together! I just held things in place while he put it together - and it was pouring with rain, bless! DDL
    Lol DDL! Does he want to come and help then DDL?

Mr D had a huge silly grin on his face all last night, thinking of his new greenhouse and the fact he got it for nowt! Can you guess he's originally a Yorkshireman?? LOL!

Leave a comment:

• dexterdoglancashire
    replied
    Sorry Mr D! It was my OH who took mine down, transported it home and put it back together! I just held things in place while he put it together - and it was pouring with rain, bless! DDL

Leave a comment:

• bramble
    replied
    Well done Mrs Dobby, it will be well worth it in the end and a great story to tell in the future. Good luck though, the hard part is yet to come, putting it all back together again.

Leave a comment:

• nick the grief
    replied
    I know from bitter experience Earthbabe

I started with 8'x6' ran out of room
    added 8'x4' coldframe ran out of room
    added 12'x3' coldframe ran out of room
    bought a 12'x8' greenhouse ran out of room
    put my old one back up running out of room

20'x10' polytunnel next addition next year I think

Leave a comment:

• Earthbabe
    replied
    You are always so positive and encouraging Nick. It's a bit like second lottie syndrome I suppose although I have no real experience only having a growhouse.

Leave a comment:

• nick the grief
    replied
    well done to you. You do realise that an 8' x 10' won't be big enough soon

Leave a comment:

• Dobby
    replied

Are you volunteering? DDL

Leave a comment:

• dexterdoglancashire
    replied
    It sounds like a worthwhile day Mr & Mrs D! Just got visions of Mr D with no belt around his trousers! (sorry!)
    Despite having an estate car, we picked up my large bench on the sunday and strapped it to the roof - needless to say we came back to Preston from Cleveleys via the A class roads - and yes, quite slowly! well worth it though!

Leave a comment:

• Dobby
    replied
    Hi Mrs Dobby forgot to tell you where I found the add its one i havent seen before! Dont know if it will be of use ot anyone, but just in case....
    http://www.friday-ad.co.uk/AdRef/YI6...lAdDetails.asp

There is a call charge if you ring them, its 25p a min, but for a call of less than 2 mins its not too bad!

We've never heard of Friday Ads before, and I dont think many folks have, so I think thats how we got it

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Dobby
    replied
    How did you get on today Mrs D? DDL

Lol DDL, I was just writing it up as you posted!!!

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Dobby
    replied
    Went to see the 8' by 8' greenhouse today, it was in Irlam, about 2 miles away as the crow flkies, but the wrong side of the Manchester Ship Canal, so had to drive round via the toll bridge, a total of 8 miles!

We got there at 10am, knocked on and were shown into the back garden, past the koi pool and 2 lovely sheds to a poorly neglected greenhouse, thankfully clear of weeds, but 8' by 10', not the 8' by 8' that we'd been told! It looked like there were about 16 panes of glass broken, in 3 or 4 different sizes, and we agreed straight away to have it, Mr Dobby deciding he wanted to dismantle it right then and there, in the rain!!

Took us a couple of hours to get all the glass out, and another couple of hours to dismantle the frame (labelling it up as we went), then the fun part, getting it into the car!

We went in Mr Dobby's car (a 54 plate Fiat Panda) as it holds more than my MINI, and had no problem with getting the glass or smaller frame in at all, but when it comes to the 10' lengths there was no chance! Being in a rush we forgot to take any bungy straps or rope, so we cadged some string and tied all the longer frame members together inside a picnic basket, before strapping to the roof rails on the Panda with string and Dobby's trouser belt!

8 miles home with a 10' greenhouse strapped to the roof was a little unnerving, couldnt go faster than about 40mph as it was bouncing everywhere, and this meant we had a tailback in the 50 zone! We managed it though, and got to tha plot with everything intact, so it couldnt have been as bad as we thought!

Now got to clear the bed we are going to put it into and sort out some footings for the lightweight base, so hopefully we will get these ready and be able to errect it on our next weekend off, a week on Saturday!

Just got to hope for some decent weather and get a few more aluminium nuts / s clips and w clips, then measure up what glass we are missing and replace it!

All in all a good days work, specially as it was free!!

Leave a comment:

• dexterdoglancashire
    replied
    How did you get on today Mrs D? DDL

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X