Corn on the cob

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corn on the cob

Hi, my corn on the cob are ready to harvest. Tried 3 last weekend & they were delicious (First year of growing).

I've been led to believe they're best cooked & eaten immediately after picking as sugars turn into starch.

Just got back from the plot & noticed two cobs have been eaten from the top down, possibly by birds?

Am thinking about harvesting the whole crop as I don't want the birds eating them! Any recommendations as to what I should do with 24 ish cobs please? I was thinking of cutting the corn off of the cob then freezing in batches. Would they require blanching first?

Many thanks,
    Paul

I say eat them all I have been eating them boiled with lots of butter, sometimes I will eat two at a time you can grill or bbq them, freeze them (yes to blanching)
    Cobs are still sweet a few days after, you can wrap them in newspaper and leave them on the kitchen worktop
    Last edited by chillithyme; 25-08-2018, 10:08 PM.

Comment

I know this doesn't really help with your problem but I think sweetcorn is best eaten raw, straight off the plant. Mine rarely get into the kitchen
      A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

I only grow a dozen or so plants and eat them straight off the plants, indeed I shall go and have one for breakfast, bye...………….

Comment

No blanching reqired

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
            I know this doesn't really help with your problem but I think sweetcorn is best eaten raw, straight off the plant. Mine rarely get into the kitchen
            I haven't eaten a cooked corn on the cob since first eating mine raw many years ago. Only us gardeners can sample this treat as it has to be freshly picked to appreciate it!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thank you for all of the responses ��

Comment

Is there any way you can cover it to protect it rather than harvesting all of it? As you’ll have seen from the responses it is a real shame with sweetcorn not to just eat the cobs really quickly after picking.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sprout View Post
                  two cobs have been eaten from the top down, possibly by birds?
                  Paul
                  It’s not been eaten, it’s just normal to have a naked bit of cob at the tasselly end

Mice and rats will eat them, and you often get earwigs having a party inside the tassels
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I got my corn dead right this year: OP variety, so it didn’t ripen all on the same day like F1s; sowed the seed at fortnightly intervals too, so I get a staggered crop. Some might say 47 plants is excessive though ...
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      It’s not been eaten, it’s just normal to have a naked bit of cob at the tasselly end

Mice and rats will eat them, and you often get earwigs having a party inside the tassels
                      Thanks. I'm familiar with bare bits on top of some cobs. The big kernels have been eaten randomly on a couple of cobs. I'll see if I can get a picture, but don't hold your breath as to it being successfully posted!

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sprout View Post
                        Thanks. I'm familiar with bare bits on top of some cobs. The big kernels have been eaten randomly on a couple of cobs. I'll see if I can get a picture, but don't hold your breath as to it being successfully posted!
                        On my allotment, the wood pigeons used to perch on top of the cobs and eat the ripe kernels. The tell-tale sign was that they would shred the sheaths at the top with their beaks to get at the corn. Most plotholders net their corn at the top as well as the sides to keep the blighters off.
                        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Cadalot obviously hasn't spotted this thread, so I'll pass on his advice: put clean socks over the cobs as a deterrent.

Comment

That's a good idea Snoop Puss. Last year I grew Earlybird. Great crop but this year my Swift were a disappointment. What varieties to you all grow?

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                              put clean socks over the cobs as a deterrent.
                              That did make me laugh out loud on the train to work this morning!

A fellow plot holder said they saw a rat reaching up & nibbling one of their corns on Friday. I really hope it's not a rat eating mine. Better not tell the wife, she won't want to eat any more as I grew it especially for her.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X