Powdery mildew on winter squash

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powdery mildew on winter squash

I’m growing Honey Bear squash and the fruit has developed nicely. They’re as big as they’re gonna get -small, but as big as they’re gonna get- but now the leaves all have powdery mildew. Can any squash growers, please, advise me? Do I harvest them now or just leave them be? The courgettes are getting it too but I’m pulling those up because I’ve eating them to the point that I could happily go a good decade or two before eating another one.

I also need help. I have grown winter squash - Crown Prince and although the largest one is 74cms round at the moment, how do I know when they are ripe? We had one for dinner yesterday but when we cut it open, the flesh nearest the seeds was yellow but was still green as it neared the skin.

Comment

Larger squash benefit from a longer curing time. I grew Crown Prince last year, and the one I stored in the house until after Xmas was totally orange inside and tasted/cooked better.
      As for powdery mildew, it's fine, just let the plants die off. As long as your squash don't get heavily frosted, they'll continue to ripen on the ground. I put offcuts of wood under mine to lift them off the wet ground a bit, just to improve airflow and reduce the risk of rot setting in.
      He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
        Larger squash benefit from a longer curing time. I grew Crown Prince last year, and the one I stored in the house until after Xmas was totally orange inside and tasted/cooked better.
        As for powdery mildew, it's fine, just let the plants die off. As long as your squash don't get heavily frosted, they'll continue to ripen on the ground. I put offcuts of wood under mine to lift them off the wet ground a bit, just to improve airflow and reduce the risk of rot setting in.

Thanks very much for your help. They’re in a pot so I’ll leave them be...

Comment

Originally posted by Eric44 View Post
          how do I know when they are ripe? We had one for dinner yesterday.
          You had a winter squash, in the summer ? ��

Seriously though, knock on the fruit, it should sound hollow
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X