Snadgers Penultimate Plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
    Wow, what a difference you have made in 1 morning!
    I did plan on sowing some broad beans, but ran out of time. Its a bit early for sowing broadies anyway.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Will you come to my plot, please?

Comment

Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
        Will you come to my plot, please?
        Er, would love to but its a bit of a trek!
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Another couple of hours on the plot yesterday. Met up, and had a chinwag, with a couple of my old school mates, one of which I hadn't seen since leaving school.

Prepared area of previously dug soil and planted a double row of The Sutton dwarf broad bean and a double row and a new one to me De Monica.
          Attached Files

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Oops, didn't mean to post the above as I wasn't finished!

Anyway, not having a string line I found a natty way to mark my double bean rows. The only thing I had on site was some plastic guttering so I pressed this into the soil creating two perfectly parallel planting grooves.

Finished off by digging over a small section of land which gave me just enough worms to try and sneak in a last fishing expedition.
            Attached Files

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Progressed with the setting up of my new plot this morning. Planted out a blackcurrant bush, two gooseberries, a redcurrant and a white currant along the sunny boundary. I have not pruned any of these and will re-assess in February.These were pillaged from my old plot.

Also planted a Tayberry on the opposite fence with a view to training it along fence.

I have Jerusalem Artichokes and Comfrey still to plant but haven't decided where to put them yet.
              Attached Files

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Had a couple of hours work on the plot this morning.

I brought my newly purchased compost box from home full of kitchen waste and dumped it on my compost heap. I emptied the bags of rocks that were left on the plot into a heap at the side of my hut. I intend utilising them as a base for my IBC container. Once roughly levelled I managed to manoeuvre the IBC from where it had been dumped and set it p roughly where it has to go to be piped to the shed and greenhouse guttering (still to be installed)
                It needs some more levelling but t least its cleared a space from where it was sited previously.

IBC in new position.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181104_121404-2448x1377.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	2381422

The position where the IBC was previously sited was against a fence. I dug along this fence and decided to plant some Jerusalem Artichokes there. I laid them out on the surface before dibbering them into the soil

Name:	20181104_120339-2448x1377.jpg
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	2381423

My garlic all seems to be growing ok now anyway!

Name:	20181104_121339-2448x1377.jpg
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	2381424

I cleared the courgettes and tidied there bed
                I pulled up all my sweetcorn plants and harvested the cobs. The dead plants I put on top of the cardboard I had laid ( brought a bit more with me today) but it looks a bit messy so I may gather the dead plants up and add them to the compost heap.

The cobs I added to the compost box to take home and sort out what is any good for eating.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Had a bonfire, after all it was November 5th and its traditional bonfire day.It also got rid of some of the carp left on the plot that I couldn't compost.. It mainly consisted of brambles I had hacked out but also had various bits of wood that were dumped on the plot, some of which were charred from a previous bonfire.

In between fire tending and waiting for it to burn down I hoed my onion sets and hoed off some weeds.

The previous tenant had a pile of double glazing units propped up against the fence and the fence was starting to buckle with the weight.

These are just the glazing itself and they are starting to separate. I may be able to utilise the glass, once cut, in patching up the greenhouse. Some I put on top of the raised beds, making a cold frame of sorts, and the rest I stacked between the greenhouse and shed.

Now that the rubbish is burned I can concentrate on completing the digging in the bonfire area.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Paid a visit to the plot mainly to drop off some kitchen waste for the compost heap and some cardboard for mulch. I have bought myself a plastic box with a lid on it which is ideal for the purpose, isn't an eyesore and fits into the boot of my car nicely.

I Did a very small amount of digging until deciding it was too sticky to be on the land.

I have quite a few raised beds and needed to get rid of some glass panels that had been left on the site. I laid a couple on top of some raised beds.

These will make basic cold frames so I am wondering what to put in them? Maybe some winter lettuce? Or I could just use them for starting plants, particularly brassicas.

Any ideas for there use would be appreciated.
                    Attached Files

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'd sow one of the winter leaves seed mixes, I've just sown this one in my Norfolk plastic greenhouse.(and no thnx ads I don't want another one, so just b*gger off!)

https://www.dobies.co.uk/Garden/Vege...Mix_436589.htm

Comment

You could sow some brussel sprout Evesham special,they grow really nicely with no whitefly or cabbage whites about. Also sweet peas VC was talking about the other day,they’d be lovely

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                          You could sow some brussel sprout Evesham special,they grow really nicely with no whitefly or cabbage whites about. Also sweet peas VC was talking about the other day,they’d be lovely
                          I thought about Cauli's, All Year Round, just to see if they live up to there name!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Has it really been that long since I was at the plot? Took a pile of mulching cardboard and laid it down along with a box full of kitchen waste and wood ash from the home woodburner and tipped it on the compost heap.

I checked the area I had sown with broad beans and noticed a few of them were up. The problem was that something had grazed on the new shoots. I sprinkled a few slug pellets along the rows in case it was slugs or snails damage.

The garlic seems to be doing well and is all about 6 inches high.

I decided to take the cover off one of my makeshift cold frames, sow a row of brussel sprouts and a row of cauliflowers ( VC you have a lot to answer for!)

At least the soil was abit drier under the glass and was easier to work.

I left the plot with the last of my stored onions and headed for B&Q where I once more succumbed to the lure of half price seeds and bought half a dozen packets

Name:	20181125_121032-1377x2448.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	2381633

Name:	20181125_121133-1377x2448.jpg
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	2381634

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Sneaked a couple of hours on the plot this morning. Put wood ash around fruit bushes and added veg peelings to compost heap.
                              Hoed my cabbages and covered my Yacon with glass to protect it.

Spent the rest of the time doing some winter digging. Left the soil roughly dug in the hope that the winter frosts will help create a seedbed in the Spring.

It was a lovely sunny morning and a joy to be outdoors.

Name:	20181209_113657-2448x1377.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	2381732

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Took a metal bucket full of wood ash to the plot and spread it by hand along the rows of defunct broad beans.

Put a load of household vegetable waste on the compost heap also.

Something has been chopping off the tops of my Japanese onion sets greenery and even munching at some of the sets? Same thing, I presume has decapitated all my broad beans. Its like cut worm damage I 've had on lettuce before but the munching of the onion sets is something else entirely.

Its a good job I am not superstitious as I have just found out off the Council that my plot is plot 13!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X