No announcement yet.

Snadgers Penultimate Plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I checked on my tomato plants which seemed ok snuggled up in the greenhouse along with the other seedlings in there and all was well.Gave all internal stuff a good watering.

Planted Centurion onion sets in my Japanese onion rows where there were gaps.

Forked over a raised bed, marked out three rows and watered rows. Sowed Autumn King2 carrots.

Planted a blackberry plant that OH had bought, though I usually get enough blackberries from the hedgerows.

Added grass cuttings to compost bin and hoed and raked some weedy areas. Watered strawberries, garlic and leeks with water I had brought from home as we have no water on site.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Yesterday I added another two toms to the greenhouse (I was given two Ailsa Craig tomato plants.) So now I have 6 Tigerella, 2 Golden Sunrise and two Ailsa Craig toms. I also sowed some toms in the greenhouse without any heat and I have three lots of seedlings growing there!
      During my flying visit to the plot I also sowed a tray of sweetcorn
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Yesterday I sowed some courgettes in the greenhouse did some weeding and some watering. Planted a couple of rows of onion sets and a row of swedes.
        The first planting of Japanese onions are looking good but I was dismayed to find a couple of my spring cabbage are going to seed. I wondered whether the old trick of cutting the cabbage head then cutting a cross in the stem would give me fresh cabbage?
        Anyway here's a couple of piccies of the Japanese onions and the newly planted onion sets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190424_173420-2448x1377.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	2383254

Name:	20190424_171422-1377x2448.jpg
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	2383255

I also checked my Yacon plants in the cold frame and was pleased to see that even though the main edible Yacon tubers had been munched by slugs the small plantable tubers near the top were starting to sprout. I'll stick a piccie on the thread where it was discussed.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Another flying visit to plot. I bought two bags of compost for 4 squid at Morries which I managed to fill eight large pots in preparation for my toms.
          Watered up then returned home.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Dropped off a large punnet of Marian swede seedling I bought from Morries. I've put them in the greenhouse because I am not sure whether they have been hardened off or not. The swedes I have sown with old seed have not germinated yet, so just in case they don't at least I have summat.
            Checked all the frost preventatives were still in place and no watering was required.

When I got home my tap that I purchased for the IBC tank arrived by post so I will probably get that fitted tomorrow.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My new IBC tap just fitted. I hope I have positioned the handle in the closed position!

Name:	20190505_105400-1377x2448.jpg
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	2383445

I transplanted my chrysanthemum stools into the plot after I had taken and rooted about 50 new plants from cuttings. I just couldn't throw them away and they should give me a few cut flowers.

Name:	20190505_105424-2448x1377.jpg
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	2383446

I dug over a bed and added wood ash. this will become my red torpedo onion bed eventually when they are ready to plant out (just tiny seedlings at the mo)

Before I left plot I harvested a nice spring cabbage for the Sunday dinner.

Name:	20190505_105611-2448x1377.jpg
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	2383447

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                I bought two bags of compost for 4 squid at Morries...
                My allotment neighbour, Mark the postie, showed me this compost two weeks ago and it was GORGEOUS.....so I got 3 bags for £9 (bigger size than the two for four quid ones) and that should keep me going for a few weeks It's lovely and fine too so ideal for seed sowing
                If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

After all the rain yesterday I was expecting quite a bit of water in my IBC container. Nothing,zilch.yadda.

I have recently positioned a tap and wasn't sure which way was off. Set it up the way I thought it would be and put a bucket under tap. Bucket was full, IBC was empty!Evidently the tap was in the 'on' position!

Put my Broad beans out to harden off along with my Marian swedes.

Someone had been trespassing on my plot as I set the gate latch in a certain position and it had been re-latched in a different position. Nothing was taken, so no harm done.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Planted out a row of about 30 broad bean plants. Filled the large tray they were in with fresh compost and potted my red torpedo onions on individually.
                    Two of my tomato plants were frosted, even in the greenhouse last night (the first night I haven't fleeced them)
                    Checked my chrysanth cuttings and they have a good root on them so they are now hardening off in a frame. Sweetcorn plants seem to be ok in the greenhouse so hopefully no more frosts .Note to self...…. I must get my leeks pricked out in the near future.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• I eventually managed to get my shed roof felted. This will mean that when it rains it should run off the shed into the gutter and into the IBC, rather than through the shed roof and onto the shed floor.
                      Took the debri- neting off my spring cabbage as hopefully they are now big enough not to be eaten by the pigeons.
                      Then a bit of weeding, a bit of hoeing and bit of watering. Took the frost covers off my greenhouse tomatoes, some of which were frosted a couple of nights ago.
                      Need to sow peas,tall peas and mangetout peas when I decide where they are going to go. French beans (both climbing and dwarf) can wait a few weeks yet.

Bed is sorted for red torpedo onions but I need to do some work on the sweetcorn bed.

Sprouts, cabbage and Calabrese will be ready to plant out soon so I need to find a space for those.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                        I eventually managed to get my shed roof felted. This will mean that when it rains it should run off the shed into the gutter and into the IBC,
                        and out the tap at the bottom.

Took the debri- neting off my spring cabbage as hopefully they are now big enough not to be eaten by the pigeons.
                        Are these the pigeons that the site doesn't have any of?

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                          and out the tap at the bottom.

Are these the pigeons that the site doesn't have any of?
                          I've never seen any pigeons but summat had a go at the cabbage before it was netted. I had seen loads of uncovered brassicas on the site so assumed there were no pigeons. I think because the site is next to a wooded area (Woodpigeons) it will probably be pertinent to cover young brassicas then take the nets off when they are established.
                          If my spring cabbage are reduced to laced curtains the next time I attend I shall not be a happy chappie!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• At the plot for a short time this morning. Dug over a piece of land I had been saving for 'worm digging' for fishing. Worms were in short supply but still manged to bag a couple of fish later in the day at my local haunt, fly fishing an artificial small Bibio (heather fly)
                            Must make sure I visit plot tomorrow after todays warm weather to make sure stuff is watered well

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• One row of Early Onward peas sown to today.

I had planned to do more but my neighbour lit a bonfire and smoked me out!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Went to the plot just to water up and make sure stuff was ok. I have some swede seedlings in modules which are ready for planting out. I was going to plant them where a row of outdoor sown swede had failed. It wasn't until I watered along the row of supposed failures ready for transplanting the others in the same row that I noticed the seedlings were just popping through. Now I need to find somewhere else for the swede plants

Even though I have a big plot I am rapidly running out of space for what I want to grow.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X