No announcement yet.

Snadgers Penultimate Plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Called at the plot (Mainly because its close to the newsagent and its a lottery rollover)

Did a bit of hand weeding and was surprised to see some more strawberries having a second flush.
    Took down my pea pyramid which was a bit of a waste of time as the spot it was in was too exposed. Next year I'll find a more sheltered spot for it.

Took a sweetcorn cob off plant and was surprised to see the corn was fully formed. I ate it raw there and then and it was very tasty.

Too wet to do much else, so left for home.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Called at plot. A few more Ailsa Craig tomatoes had ripened along with some yellow toms so I grabbed them and took them home.
      I have quite a few Chrysanths flowering at the plot so took some home to gain brownie points with OH.
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• After tickling over to remove weeds and raking level I planted a row of Radar Autumn planted onion sets.
        Half of the plot is uneven but instead of a major 'cut and fill' program I am just levelling up areas as I plant them up
        . I will be taking all the retaining boards off that are set along the central path and grading the plot from the path outward.
        Attached Files

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• A productive couple of hours in the sunshine.

I lifted my few emaining spuds and after raking and levelling the area, I planted two rows of autumn red onion sets.

I then dis-assembled my French bean wigwam. After storing the canes I hoed and raked the area just to tidy it.

I then cut some chrysanths for home.

It doesn't sound a lot for 2hrs work but I was happy with progress made.

I,ve still got broad beans, garlic,culy kale (left it because I couldn't e bothered to sort mesh guard for it) and various other brassicas to plant out.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Harvested a large leek, carrots, swede and a squash plus a few tomatoes from greenhouse. I have mooli and snowball turnips ready as well. My red torpedo onons still have greenery so I m leaving them, unless any decide to run to seed.

I visited my old Scrapheap Challenge plot today and filled my car wih all manner of carp I had stored there.
            Hopefully I will take it to the current plot tomorrow. Now I have the mesh I should be able to get my curly kale plants planted out from their modulses

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Called in at plot to harvest some veg for tomorrows dinner. Dug up a swede and a deent sized leek.

Grabbed a cob of corn off one of my plants expecting it to be yuck. I was pleasantly surprised that it was ripe,and fully formed. I ate it on the spot and its the best breakfast I have had for a while.
              My Mooli is looking good and I think I will have to harvest and dry off my red torpedo onions which appear to want to keep growing

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Is it really that long since I was at the plot? In my defence the weather has been carp and the plot has been waterlogged.

A while ago i chopped down an overgrown fuschia which was trying to stop me getting in the front door of my house.

The leaves have now fallen off the chopped branches so I decided to take it to the allotment and burn it. I also had a large bucket of woodash to take there as well.

After unloading the branches and woodash from the car I had a reccy of the plot. Everything seemed fine and so I harvested four large carrots, a swede, a large Mooli and a large leek for possibly a pan full of broth?
                I am still eating my Autiumn sown red and white onions, but I have the greenhouse bench full of spring sown onions to be going at once the others are finished.

Two jobs I made a note of, and which will need attention is tidying up the old tomato plants in the greenhouse and chopping down the chrysanth plants and bringing in few stools for cuttings. Out of six different colours the predominent colour was yellow with a smattering of pink. The other colours have vanished so may need replacing.

Also must get my garlic planted.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Checked out plot this morning but still too claggy to do much on.

Did manage to harvest my torpedo onions in case they went to seed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0017-3072x1728.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	473.8 KB
ID:	2385871

Not a bad little harvest considering I was late in getting them sowed.

Of course I still haven't started on my onions grown from a spring planting yet.

Name:	DSC_0018-3072x1728.jpg
Size:	395.6 KB
ID:	2385872

While I was there I lifted some carrots, a mooli and took a couple of the torpedo onion.

Name:	DSC_0019-3072x1728.jpg
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	2385873

Last and least I lifted my bucket of Oca. This was from three corms and was disappointing. I won't be growing these again. They were on the surface and the compost at the bottom of the pot had no roots in it.

Name:	DSC_0020-1728x3072.jpg
Size:	453.8 KB
ID:	2385874

Never mind, you win some and loose some.

I had a look at my sprouts which are forming well so I should be able to add quite a few different veg to my Christmas day dinner.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Oca never worked well for me either, despite all the hype - a complete waste of space IMO.. Your onions look great though

Comment

• Last visit to the plot in 2019 today.

Had a bonfire and burned my sweetcorn stalks and chrysanthemum stalks. Put cardboard over my weedy sweetcorn bed. Tickled over the bed I plan to plant my garlic but bed is far too wet for planting, Seperated my garlic cloves which are starting to sprout.
                      A pleasant couple of hours spent pottering

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• The closest I got to any gardening was buying spuds online
                        aka
                        Suzie

Comment

• Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                          The closest I got to any gardening was buying spuds online
                          Hi Piskei. Long time no see.

Are we going to be seeing more of you in 2020?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• I'd like to stay, if you'll have me
                            aka
                            Suzie

Comment

• Cardboard which encased an unmentionable item is now spread out on the plot mulching a goodly sized area.(I have got piccies but this chromebook thingy doesn't like them)
                              I sometimes buy some kiln dried wood in mesh sacks. They looked handy for summat so I don't throw them away Today I found a use for one as I gathered some stored onions from the plot. The Jap onioms are about finished so I will start using last years summer crop now.

Spring is in the air.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Raked a previously prepared bed and planted nine (that's all there was in the blister pack) Golden Gourmet shallots. There were actually ten shallots but one was a bit mouldy and as I have had problems with white rot on another site, I binned it., not wanting to introduce any type of rot

The other half of the bed I filled with 16 garlic cloves. I had seperated these about a month ago and laid hem on top of one of the cardboard covered beds. They were just starting to sprout roots so it was time they were planted. I just dibbled these in and left the hole open. No real reason for doing this, just an experiment to see if this will allow the bulbs to swell better.

Before leaving I harvested a bag full of sprouts, a large Mooli, a large swede and a large leek.
                                The carrots are about done now and I think one of the other plot holders, who I gave carte Blanche to get some carrots if he needed any, has wiped most of them out, along with a few swedes as well.

It was colder than I had thought and I didn't have a jumper with me so I only spent a couple of hours on site.Some of the other stuff that needs doing will just have to wait for another day.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X