Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shredding Veg (i.e. Veg that will shred you)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shredding Veg (i.e. Veg that will shred you)

Looking at exploding cucumbers on the Real Seed website which advises

HEALTH WARNING.
    DANGER OF EYE INJURY! HARD SEED IS EJECTED AT GREAT SPEED.
    DO NOT HOLD RIPE FRUIT NEAR FACE.
    HARVEST FRUIT AFTER IT HAS OPENED.
    DO NOT ALLOW CHILDREN TO PLAY WITH FRUIT.
    We know this sounds silly,
    but we recommend that
    YOU WEAR EYE PROTECTION WHILE HARVESTING AND PROCESSING FRUIT.

and having previously grown Litchi tomatoes which have sharp prickles over every part of the plant including the flower head

I'm just wondering what other spikey, pokey, stabby veg I can grow in an antisocial have at you come pick me if you dare type of bed.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Files

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

I am planning to grow sichuan peppers (Chinese prickly ash) which would fit the bill. I'll probably have to start them from seed as it's hard for me to take delivery of plants while working full-time and I can't see one showing up in Wilko or B&Q which are the only places I can buy plants within walking distance (except for the occasional Aldi/Lidl offering).

Which reminds me, I should really get an order in as they need sowing soon. But if I'm ordering one pack of seeds, I might as well make the postman's trip worthwhile and order a couple of other things too, right?

Comment

Originally posted by self-contained View Post
      I am planning to grow sichuan peppers (Chinese prickly ash) which would fit the bill. I'll probably have to start them from seed as it's hard for me to take delivery of plants while working full-time and I can't see one showing up in Wilko or B&Q which are the only places I can buy plants within walking distance (except for the occasional Aldi/Lidl offering).

Which reminds me, I should really get an order in as they need sowing soon. But if I'm ordering one pack of seeds, I might as well make the postman's trip worthwhile and order a couple of other things too, right?
      Is this the one
      Jurassicplants Online Tree Nursery

I was thinking more on the lines on annuals so I don't risk life and limb every year.

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Of course if I did go for trees then I'd have to have some Flying Dragons - Hardy Orange/Japanese Bitter Orange
        Jurassicplants Online Tree Nursery

Mind you the last one I got died

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
          That's the one.

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
          I was thinking more on the lines on annuals so I don't risk life and limb every year.
          Now, where's the fun in that? A little peril in your gardening and a little spice for your kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by self-contained View Post
            That's the one.
            "Its spines will never die, instead, they grow and age together with the plant and in a few years, they became 10 times larger than in their first year."

Now that is a Shrikes perfect Plant. Maybe the bed should be called "The Butcher Bird Border"

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Aubergines are evil little blighters!

Comment

I don't like spines. I grow thornless raspberries and gooseberries (although the gooseberry does have some thorns) and I have more than enough spines to deal with in the hawthorn and backthorn hedges.

My current lot of green bush courgettes are rather too spiny for my liking.
                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Courgettes and aubergines are spiky enough for me...

Comment

Try Milk thistle! It's got very large attractive leaves, but growers beware, it's very spiny and will get you in the rear when you're not looking!
                    I work very hard so please don't expect me to think as well!

Comment

but growers beware, it's very spiny and will get you in the rear when you're not looking!
                      Spikey and sneaky - that's what I like

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I got cut by a cucumber this year. Totally worth it.

Comment

I can pull baby thistles up with bare hands, but my courgettes keep “getting” me. As does the gooseberry, and my roses ... which I know scratch me, yet I still try to pick them without gloves. Pigeons learn quicker, I tell ya
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've worked with gunnera manicatas that are basically giant rhubarb, only thorny as all hell and I prefer to work with them than tomatoes. Tomato plants feel lovely and soft, but irritates my skin on my arms, which will itch and hurt all bloody night after being in the greenhouse with them. Damn them tomatoes lol
                            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                              Courgettes and aubergines are spiky enough for me...
                              Are these spiky? Who knew!

I will have my first greenhouse for next year's season, and this is news to me.

And those Litchi tomatoes look the stuff of nightmares Jay-ell. I may not be growing these any time soon.....
                              Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X