corn growing secrets

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corn growing secrets

I had good luck with my corn this year and last several years so I thought pass on some of things I learned and hope others will do the same.

1. plant several different varieties in blocks of a min of 20 plants.
    2. the varieties must have different maturity times or
    3.plant same variety in several blocks once ever 2 weeks.
    4. if you go by 3 above run your early plants on west to east.
    if have two block W12E ,three blocks W123E ,four blocks W1234E
    5. corn is heavy feeder especially nitrogen and potash
    6. since old native American method of putting fish in planting hole attract 4 legged pest a hand full composted manure works just a well.
    7. if plan eating corn on cob. boil water first put shucked corn in pot, then put lid
    on pot and remove the pot from heat and wait 5 min. and corn will not get soggy.
    8. corn taste better when picked by short blond children, with bowl hair cuts and red eyes.

If it works for you, then carry on
    A few things though...
    I don't plant that many of any variety haha!
    It is not advisable to plant different varieties close together as cross-pollination will affect the corn in the cobs, taste as well as colour, if growing coloured corn.
    If you grow 2 or more varieties, plant them as far apart as possible on your plot to avoid cross-pollination as much as possible.
    The best way to plant your corn depends on the prevailing wind, as you want the pollen of the same variety to blow over the most cobs that it can.
    I grow 1 variety, usually in 2 sowings, 2 weeks apart - but often find they catch up with each other anyway

Comment

I grow like TS. One variety, different times, blocks of maybe a dozen or so plants. Never any serious problems.

No such children as per point eight in this vicinity!

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
        If it works for you, then carry on
        A few things though...
        I don't plant that many of any variety haha!
        It is not advisable to plant different varieties close together as cross-pollination will affect the corn in the cobs, taste as well as colour, if growing coloured corn.
        If you grow 2 or more varieties, plant them as far apart as possible on your plot to avoid cross-pollination as much as possible.
        The best way to plant your corn depends on the prevailing wind, as you want the pollen of the same variety to blow over the most cobs that it can.
        I grow 1 variety, usually in 2 sowings, 2 weeks apart - but often find they catch up with each other anyway
        What variety do you plant Thelma?

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post

No such children as per point eight in this vicinity!
          Plenty kids like that around here LOL

Comment

Originally posted by dennyjim View Post
            What variety do you plant Thelma?
            Lark or Swift, whichever of the 2 that I can pick up in the end of year seed sales
            Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 02-10-2018, 09:35 PM.

Comment

I grow Lark. Where are you based, dennyjim?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X