• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sungold tomatoes
    Cosse violette climbing French bean
    http://www.weeveggiepatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Japanese onion - Senshyu Yellow and Sarpo Mira spuds.

Comment

Runner bean - greek gigantes beans

Comment

Good thread, Paul. Its interesting to see the popular ones - like Golden Acre cabbage and Gardener's Delight and Sungold tomatoes.

Comment

Loving all the choices and the responses in general. My initial thought to post this was beginning to wonder what I should grow this year, and that led onto what would be first on the list....then it occurred to me if I took everyone's number one (or 2 or 3), then maybe I could create a perfect list?!?!

We will see....
            The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
            William M. Davies

Comment

The Ultimate List would be a good starting point for new gardeners (and not so new ones)!

Comment

I must try Golden Acre next season.

Comment

Ne plus ultra peas fab heritage tall variety. Great taste and v reliable
                  Blauhilde climbing french

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    The Ultimate List would be a good starting point for new gardeners (and not so new ones)!
                    Was just thinking that. Only in my third year of growing - second with raised beds and a greenhouse, so haven’t got real favourites of anything yet.

Comment

The ones I posted are varieties that I go back to again and again having been unable to find anything with overall better performance for my conditions and taste. I've been growing Hurst Greenshaft peas and Sturon onions for the last 30 years, and carrot Nantes Frubund for at least 8 years. There are plenty of other varieties that I could add with similar credentials, notably Desiree potatoes. I left out Sungold tomatoes, not because I don't like them, but because while they do great outside in the ground, I have never done very well with them indoors or in pots. With well over 100 varieties on my list of things I grow regularly, its difficult to restrict it to just 2 or 3!
                      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Ailsa Craig tomato
                        Cour Di Bue tomato
                        French beans, any type
                        Greyhound cabbage
                        Next years vote may change with 26 tomato choices

Comment

I remember Pigletwillie starting a thread called 'Gold Star varieties' a number of years ago but I can't find it now?

It would be interesting to see the difference between what was deemed as 'Gold Star' then and 'Ultimate' now!
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

marmandee toms, maris peer & pink fir aple spuds, blue lake french climbing beans, snowball turnips ,
                            atb Dal

Comment

Two more i couldn't do without - Pentland Brig kale and Charlotte potatoes.
                              He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                                I remember Pigletwillie starting a thread called 'Gold Star varieties' a number of years ago but I can't find it now?

It would be interesting to see the difference between what was deemed as 'Gold Star' then and 'Ultimate' now!
                                https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ties_8325.html

I'll let you do the comparisons, Snadge, since you're retired and have lots of free time.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X