VSR - Value for Space Rating

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My space is limited as well.
    First early potatoes will always be at the top of my list.
    Spring onions, garlic, all types of mustard and salad leaves.
    Peas and corn ( just for the sweet fresh taste)

Tomatoes, peppers, chillis and cucumbers in the greenhouse.
    Herbs in pots.
    Gooseberry bush at the end of the raised bed.
    Two rows of strawberries also at the end of the raised bed.
    Everything else goes in the greenhouse.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      When will you have the bed ready, rary?
      You could be sowing carrots, beets and turnips now but it may be too late in a month or so.
      Hadn't thought of that VC but I can sow them now in seed trays, thanks
      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
        I will be making a raised bed in the greenhouse 15inches high 8ft long 3ft wide, lined with polythene sitting on a concrete floor, what would you recommend growing in it over the winter months, it will be kept frost free but not warm, and a grow light can be used over it, I will be sowing some rocket, radish and lettuce, but not sure what else to grow to give VSR, taking in some of the comments it has to be something that is worth growing for taste and freshness in winter, and the simply the pleasure of having something I have grown
        Pea shoots should work - you can start them off in pots. Winter spinach should also give you something to eat over winter.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I have never tried pea shoots, but I take it pea shoots are simply normal peas that you cut the top off young plants, and if so how often can you take the tops off
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

Yes, just ordinary peas - I'm using some old Onward seeds at the moment.

I let them grow to about 6 inches high then cut off the tops. The side buds then grow into shoots and I cut these when 1-2 inches long. Sometimes you can get another cut, sometimes the plants seem determined to flower - in which case you may get the odd pea or 2 forming. You can always sow some more later and start again.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

If you want to grow pea shoots cheaply rary you can use the dried peas from the supermarket (Leo). It does work, I've done it.

Comment

If you want to harvest pea shoots multiple times I suggest sowing the peas into a deep container. When I first tried it I used a shallow seed try and the roots ended up forming a thick mat and there was basically no compost left.

Comment

Leeks would be on my list, because we pull them young and use as spring onions. That way, I'm getting something for our stir fries most of the year, which makes them valuable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    If you want to grow pea shoots cheaply rary you can use the dried peas from the supermarket (Leo). It does work, I've done it.
                    I know you may find this hard to believe VC, but I had thought of that

Comment

Joy Larkcom is not only person to come up with this type calculation.
                      old ww2 dig for victory pamphlets had similar calculations in them but they stress nutrients and storage
                      since alternative sources of vegetable were limited.

Comment

I can't understand how sweet peppers get on the list. For me, they grow very slowly to begin with and take months to ripen properly, the yield is only average and mine are very vulnerable to slug damage - a hole in one often means the pepper has had it.

Comment

Yes, pepper growing tips please!!! How do I get plants to produce copious peppers, rather than 0-2 per plant???

Comment

I've not had much success at all with the bell type sweet peppers and I agree I would not put them on the list. What I do grow is the smaller snack type peppers (Snackbite red, orange, yellow), which look more like chillies. I grow these in 2 litre pots on the windowsill where one of each colour gives me plenty of fruit - usually about 8 per plant, ready in mid summer from a February sowing. I do grow them under lights in spring though. I feed them with Tomorite occasionally (when I remember). The plants often produce more flowers in late summer which provide a 2nd crop in the autumn.

Peppers are perennials and a couple of times I have cut them down to about 4 inches when the leaves drop in autumn. They sprout again quite quickly and produce fruit again, slightly earlier the next year. Last year I left 2 untrimmed as they had flower buds in November. More flowers followed and I have had a supply of peppers for most of the year from 6 plants (3 this year's seeds, 3 last).

These are 2 of this year's plants on the east facing spare room windowsill:

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	2380794

Last year's plants are looking a bit frazzled on the south facing landing windowsill, but they are still producing plenty of fruit:

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	2380795

I will sow new seed in spring and ditch the 2 year old ones.

I also grow these for my friend in her greenhouse where they grow bigger (in a chiligrow planter) and produce slightly bigger fruit. However they are killed by frost so you can't overwinter them in the greenhouse.

Comment

^I'm tempted to give up growing red peppers next year but just stick to yellow ones and the long Italian-style green ones.

Comment

For me this year was my first year growing I found that my peas weren’t really very productive vs beans so don’t think I’ll grow them again. From the sounds of it kale is worth a try but I’ve never had it what recipe ideas do people have?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X