In Limbo

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Limbo

What can I grow now? I feel like I have nothing to do.
    Suggestions welcome
    P.S. I have an allotment with a greenhouse, but no electricity

You have an allotment but you have nothing to do??
    This isn't a great time of year for growing, but you could plant Autumn onion sets, garlic, or start off some overwintering broad beans?
    Personally I use this time of year to do 'structural' jobs on the plot, stuff that you don't have time to do when you're actually tending to plants.
    He-Pep!

Comment

Lots of tidying and planning.
      Planning is good and can best be done in the pub.
      Many problems can be solved in the pub, but the trick is remembering the solutions in the morning.
      Jimmy
      Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Thanks Bario1 I've a load of boxes to make for my intended 15" wide perimeter, but dont want to start that before Christmas. I just feel I want to plant "stuff" lol

Comment

Sounds like a plan Jimmy :-)

Comment

Well, I'm growing bored and impatient like I do this time every year

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

^^^ Bored beans?

Its a good time to plant fruit bushes and trees or green manure or just sow anything that takes your fancy just for the fun of it. Guess what I do?

Comment

Should I really ask ??? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                  Lots of tidying and planning.
                  Planning is good and can best be done in the pub.
                  Many problems can be solved in the pub, but the trick is remembering the solutions in the morning.
                  Jimmy
                  Just the sort of thing that would force you to take up smoking (so you can write notes on back of packet). I've got a wee Black "Police type" note book (not that they use then anymore) with the elastic bank to mark the page

Comment

What do you have in your greenhouse.
                    Can you take cuttings and pot them up.
                    Plant some miniature daffs in containers and keep in the greenhouse for a bit of early colour.
                    If you have strawberries it's not too late to root some runners.
                    Sow overwintering salad crops in the greenhouse.
                    Failing that, clean the glass, gutters, pots and containers for next season.

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Sow oriental leaves, winter lettuce, microgreens, pea shoots, broad beans. Sprout some alfalfa or mung beans in a jar.

Plan what you are going to grow next year
                      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Here is the Moreveg October sowing guide.

Baby Leaf Astra, Catalogna Cerbiatta, Deronda, Red Wizard, Sangria and 2 mixes
                        Beetroot Detroit Globe, Early Wonder & Lutz
                        Broad Beans to overwinter – Aquadulce Claudia & Sutton Dwarf
                        Cabbage - Evergreen
                        Cauliflower - All Year Round, Atakaya F1 & Snowball
                        Chicory – Grumola Verde & Pain de Su
                        Choy Sum – Purple Choi
                        Collards
                        Corn Salad
                        Cress
                        Endive Catalogna Garnet Stem, Cornet de Bordeaux, Panaclieri & Soldata
                        Flowers – Foxglove, Honesty, Limnanthes, Malva, Stocks, & Sweet Peas
                        Green Manure - Comfrey
                        Herbs – British Basil, Caraway, Coriander (indoors), Lavender, Marsh Mallow, Sweet Cicely & Wild Garlic
                        Kale – Scarlet
                        Lettuce Black Seeded Simpson, Marvel of Four Seasons, Red Grenoble, Rouge de Hiver, Rougette de Montpellier, Roxy, Sylvesta, Trocadero, Waldmans Dark Green & Winter Density
                        Mibuna, Minutina, Mitsuba & Mizuna
                        Mustard Leaves
                        Orach
                        Pak Choi Red Lady & Yuushou
                        Parsley
                        Purslane
                        Pea Avola, Douce Provence & Twinkle (to overwinter)
                        Radish Daikon, Malaga Violet and Tarzan
                        Rocket (lots of choices)
                        Shungiku
                        Spinach – Banjo, Giant Winter, Harp, Matador, Medania, Reflect, Renegade & Trombone
                        Spring Onion Eiffel, White Lisbon & White Lisbon Winter Hardy
                        Strawberries
                        Texel Greens
                        Turnips for greens and tops – Goldana, Market Express & Snowball

Quite impressive innit!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

This weekend I'm going to sow a whole load of flower seeds (mainly biennials) that I've been collecting from the gardening mags during the last few months.

Foxglove, Lupins, Honesty, Wallflowers, Sweet Peas, Sweet William, etc.
                          I'm not sure if I'm too late to be sowing them but, you got to give it a bash anyway.

I'll be keeping them in the (unheated) front porch and hopefully get them out next spring.
                          .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

I don't have a lottie, but in my garden I tend to grow little in the winter and instead use the time to get the ground ready for next years crops. I don't sow until after the 26th of December when the propagator comes into season with onions and leeks, then chillies and finally tomatoes. I also need a bit of re charging, so do some winter hill walking in the snow and night time Cod fishing in the easterly storms from my local rocks.

Comment

[QUOTE=KevinM67;1624630]This weekend I'm going to sow a whole load of flower seeds (mainly biennials) that I've been collecting from the gardening mags during the last few months.

Foxglove, Lupins, Honesty, Wallflowers, Sweet Peas, Sweet William, etc.
                              I'm not sure if I'm too late to be sowing them but, you got to give it a bash anyway.

Monty Don was just sowing his sweet peas this week, so it looks like the right time. Made me think about doing the same.
                              Last edited by Babru; 14-10-2018, 06:57 AM.
                              Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X