No announcement yet.

Grow to use, or use to grow?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That’s set off some thoughts in my head!

For me, I think the biggest draw is cooking and eating the food which I have grown, and being as self-reliant as possible.
    If money were no object and I never had to go to work again, I would probably spend most of my time growing, rearing and coppicing, interspersed with long walks, music and crafts.
    However, if I couldn’t eat, it would seem quite pointless growing veg or raising chickens. I would still enjoy getting sunlight and fresh air, but I might have to ask to move plots every year as I think I would get more pleasure from the achievement of clearing a plot than from growing veg I couldn’t eat... Alternatively I might take to growing either flowers or XL/competition veg instead.
    Last edited by Chestnut; 18-10-2018, 09:15 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I'm loving these responses.

I'm am among like minds and friends.

Comment

Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
        I'm loving these responses.

I'm am among like minds and friends.
        ..........and Nutters.

Comment

Herbs, I grow many but wife won't have any. So most don't get used.
          Jimmy
          Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

I enjoy the growing far more than the sampling. I love the discovery, the challenge, the sharing of experience, and the satisfaction if I've exceeded expectation. I like the reactions of others when they themselves are not so versed with a particular plant, maybe even change preconceived ideas as to how something should look or taste. That said I'm not a diverse grower year on year, my favourite subject is always well represented , but I'll have a go at anything if it pricks my interest.

My proudest achievement to date is probably playing a big part in encouraging a much younger colleague of mine to put down his gaming console and pick up a trowel on his weekends, an activity that at one time he used to mock. He went on to convert a chunk of his mum's neglected garden into a thriving little kitchen garden, and would regularly show me photos of his progress to get my opinions. I'd advise as best I could, and further encourage with spare seeds and equipment.

As I'm a lousy cook, so the majority of my chillies are given away, which I'm happy to do as like I say, for me the culinary appeal is secondary. I do experiment a bit, but any proper cooking is always a long-winded process. For me it's a faff. I've got 'customers' and they have expectations now, so I've a standard to maintain
            Last edited by Philthy; 18-10-2018, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X