Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did Shallot sets become so expensive..?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did Shallot sets become so expensive..?

So I'm poking around t'internet looking for about 100 golden Gourmet Shallot sets for planting around now, and its looking like the sets are in actual fact made from real gold buy the price of them.

They are either sold out buy some sellers, not available till end of Jan by others, or shocking prices by some for just 15-20 sets.

Where are all the large amounts for sale? has anybody found any Golden Gourmet at a decent price..?

I don't want to wait for Wilkinson's to get any in like I did this year as they wont be in shop till late Jan, and mine all bolted this last spring.

Regards, Shallotless.
    Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

I find that shallot seeds have always been a bit on the dear side. So you need to think seriously about saving your own sets in future, but that's not much good for now. If you get about 8 from each set, you are looking for about 115 in total. 100 for eating and 15 for next year.

Late January is still very early to plant out shallots. I find that a percentage rot in store anyway. Last year, as an experiment, I planted half my shallots at the same time as autumn onions (suggested by Big Mally) to see if less rotted but I just ended up with gaps in the rows and the ones I planted in spring (early March) with my main onions fared a lot better. I usually get some that produce flowers but only a minority and then it would be one flower in a clump of 6 to 10 shallots. This years hot, dry weather could be why your's bolted.
    The best I can find is about £28 (including p&p) from Victoriana for 6x500g so I'd look out for them in Wilkinsons,Morrisons, B&M, Aldi... early spring, ideally buy some from more than one source.

Comment

My aim is to have them all to pickle, I did it last year with great success, the growing area is needed on June 1st for sweetcorn planting. I've found a possible site I could get some from, but I've contacted Kings Wholesale division to see if they would sell me some.

All this for a decent pickle. Yum.

Comment

I bought mine in poundland and I got about 15 for £1. I had a good harvest from them and I still have some that I can either replant or eat, depends on where the greater need is
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Where I get mine at the GC in spring they are the same price per kilo as the onion sets?

Granted you get a lot less to the kilo than onion sets but I can usually get about 20 shallots for under £2.00.

As it happens I don't need them this year as I have enough for planting from this years crop.
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

https://www.dutchbulbs.co.uk/c-gd/on...-and-garlic/2/ That is Parkers wholesale and large quantities but if you can get a few folks to share,

Comment

Bit slow on this veg gardening lark. You can grow shallots in the same way as garlic? Just split the bulb and replant?. For some reason I had an onion head on. Thinking - Onion Seed, Wee onions - Heat Treatment for sets and then plant out or just plant out.

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
                Bit slow on this veg gardening lark. You can grow shallots in the same way as garlic? Just split the bulb and replant?. For some reason I had an onion head on. Thinking - Onion Seed, Wee onions - Heat Treatment for sets and then plant out or just plant out.

LOL
                Garlic produces a single bulb containing several cloves which can be planted individually. Shallots divide internally to produce several external individual bulbs which also can be planted. No splitting of bulbs needed with shallots.

Comment

Not sure about golden gourmet but Jermor are on sale at DT browns. They have reduced most autumn planting sets.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                    Garlic produces a single bulb containing several cloves which can be planted individually. Shallots divide internally to produce several external individual bulbs which also can be planted. No splitting of bulbs needed with shallots.
                    Point taken - wrong terminology - both garlic and shallots grow in clumps which can be split and grown on for next season .

Comment

Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
                      Point taken - wrong terminology - both garlic and shallots grow in clumps which can be split and grown on for next season .
                      I got a load from Wilkos cheap planted some early summer. Not great but okay. Kept some back for next year. Planted the rest end of summer. Looking very good leaf wise but bulbs are far from ready. Should I cover with fleece once winter has started? Terraced garden, windy. Oh and they were golden gourmet

Comment

According to JBA Seed Potatoes, Golden Gourmet go in the ground from Feb onwards. I usually buy them at the same time as my seed potatoes. £2.50 for 350 g of Golden Gourmet or £1.79 for 350 g of Red Sun. Mind you, their twin packs look like poor value.

Comment

I ended up gong with Kings, their postage was much less comapared others. 1.95...

Other places wanted 4.95.
                          Just hope we get a good growing year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X