Growing an onion for seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
    There is a way around it being an F1 Rary. Once the flowerhead has developed into the typical allium pompom, take a small scissors and remove half to three quarters of the individual flowers making up the pompom. This should encourage the plant to produce pips(mini onions) instead of seeds and when grown on,(just like onion sets), the end result will be onions which are a clone of the parent plant. The magic of vegetative propagation unlike growing from seeds which can have variable results.

The one bit of advice I would give if you intend to try to grow from pips is before planting, give the pips a soak in a solution of 50cc's of Domestos in a gallon of water for an hour or so which will kill any pathogens likely to cause mould growth.

A final comment, growing from sets will not produce identical onions. My comment about growing just like onion sets was relating to method of growing, not about the end result.
    Thanks for that information AP, I will give that a try and if successful I can grow for seed from the next lot

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
    J*e*y*e*s stinks Burnie and also stains buckets etc.
    But if you use a household bucket OH might moan about the staining, but will go and buy a new one, then you will have the original one for the garden
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
      But if you use a household bucket OH might moan about the staining, but will go and buy a new one, then you will have the original one for the garden
      haha I like your thinking!
      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X