Covered potatoes with fleece

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covered potatoes with fleece

Hi wise ones, after reading all about growing potatoes for that day that must not be spoken of, I planted some Duke of Yorks and some Pentagon in August. The Dukes did really well, not so the t'others. However middle of Oct I covered them with fleece to protect from anticipated frost. This has had the effect of stalling them completely. They have not put any growth on since....mmmm? what should I do?
    Thank you in advance!

Hi Ognen,

Fleece or no fleece, I would have thought it's too cold out there for potatoes to be growing happily - however, they may be using what foliage they have to store energy for next year in the form of... potatoes!
    Have you had a furtle to see if there's anything happening below the soil?
    He-Pep!

Comment

I would make sure the fleece doesn’t touch the leaves & if the growths still green & healthy I’d do nothing,maybe earth them up a bit but leave the leaves exposed to the sun. I might move my bag next to the house where there’s less chance of frost. Growth is slow/stalled at low temps at this time of year,as long as the leaves aren’t dying,you could give them a little seaweed or tomato feed for potassium help & a straw mulch for added protection.

Comment

My understanding of growing xmas pots is simple. whack them in in august, hopefully they will have a nice october and early november and thats it, no more growth, chop tops off and leave in pots till required.

are they in a greenhouse/tunnel ?
        Last edited by jackarmy; 21-11-2018, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
          Have you had a furtle to see if there's anything happening below the soil?
          I will be going to allotment tomorrow so I will indeed have a further then. Fingers crossed!��

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
            I would make sure the fleece doesn’t touch the leaves & if the growths still green & healthy I’d do nothing,maybe earth them up a bit but leave the leaves exposed to the sun. I might move my bag next to the house where there’s less chance of frost. Growth is slow/stalled at low temps at this time of year,as long as the leaves aren’t dying,you could give them a little seaweed or tomato feed for potassium help & a straw mulch for added protection.
            The leaves seem to be fine, I will deffo try some Tomato feed on them tomorrow. Thank you!
            Last edited by Ognen09; 22-11-2018, 10:29 AM. Reason: Misspelt

Comment

Originally posted by jackarmy View Post
              My understanding of growing xmas pots is simple. whack them in in august, hopefully they will have a nice october and early november and thats it, no more growth, chop tops off and leave in pots till required.

are they in a greenhouse/tunnel ?
              No, not in GH or PT. They are in a raised bed with a deep mulch of leaf mould and with a fleece on top. I was going to put them in GH but I haven't put the glass back in after its move yet so that would not have helped much!!��
              Last edited by Ognen09; 22-11-2018, 10:28 AM. Reason: Missing word

Comment

If you’re thinking of eating some now I wouldn’t feed them,I was thinking you were harvesting them for Christmas,if they’re going to be out there for another month they’d need some fertiliser.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                  If you’re thinking of eating some now I wouldn’t feed them,I was thinking you were harvesting them for Christmas,if they’re going to be out there for another month they’d need some fertiliser.
                  Hi JJ, I am hoping to have them for Xmas so I will Defford give them a feed tomorrow. Thank you!��

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X