Ideal soil for Carrots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muck lover View Post
    I’m plagued with carrot fly even in the polytunnel. I grew late sowings of resistafly and flyaway and still got a bit of damage. I’ll do better next year inside and out by just keeping some sort of cloche or cover on for the duration.
    Carrot fly pupate in the soil so if you have had problems in your polytunnel in the past, netting may not completely stop them. I find Nandor is reasonably resistant, although I did get some damage in later carrots after I'd been pulling them out of the pot (unprotected) for a couple of months.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
      Does anyone pull a few carrots out & leave the rest in the tub? The scent could attract the fly,when I’ve done that I’ve put some lavender flower heads broken up,on the top of the soil to hide the smell of carrot. I don’t know if it helps I’ve never had carrot fly here in my garden,covering with some cheap net curtain will stop them & crop rotation,good luck next time will be great!
      Yes, I harvest them a few at a time but I leave the pots under the nets in between, unless I am growing Nandor, which is less attractive to carrot fly.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
        Does anyone pull a few carrots out & leave the rest in the tub? I’ve never had carrot fly here in my garden,covering with some cheap net curtain will stop them & crop rotation,good luck next time will be great!
        I have nets on my carrot buckets and fingers crossed up to yet I've not had a problem with just pulling out a few at a time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	carrotsbren.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	2381668
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks folks for the tips, I like the idea of making a slot with a spade, I'll give that a try along with the other ideas.
          It's so gratifying to know that people are happy to share their knowledge and advice freely to help newcomers like me to the mysteries of the Allotment.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X