Can Tomatillos overwinter?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Tomatillos overwinter?

Unlike the tomatoes, my tomatillos seem to be doing really quite well. I am sure I've read on the vine somewhere that people had overwintered their Cape Gooseberry plants and they crop better for it the next year. Can tomatillos be treated the same way?
    All at once I hear your voice
    And time just slips away
    Bonnie Raitt

OOH - lets hope so - thanks for that. I will give it a go anyway and see if i can get them off to a better summer next year. Mine are just starting to get big enough [i have only had one off them so far].

Might have to rescue some of the smaller plants and get into pots as soon as possible after this.

If I see anything on the subject will come back to you.

Comment

At least this year the plants grew!! However, although plenty of flowers no fruit set. May try to overwinter in the greenhouse. Worth a try I suppose.

Comment

Did you have them outdoors or in the greenhouse Rustylady? The seed pack seemed to indicate outdoors, but when I put one plant outside, it hated the rain, and was decimated by slugs, so I brought it into the greenhouse again and all the plants seem to have done great. Now I just need to discover if I actually like Tomatillos!
        And time just slips away
        Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Tomatillos are nice but definitely need a greenhouse.

Comment

I'm growing mine outside and they're doing great, just looking at them before. Added advantage is that I don't have to pollinate them. Never grown them before, or used them, probably a stupid question but how do I know when they're ready? I think they are now but not sure!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Hi
              I pick my tomatillos when they grow to the same size as the wrapper; or later. So i test them all with a quick squeeze and when i have a fair few, they all come off in one. Make sure you wash them as many have a little oily/waxy surface that needs to come off. i use mine on pizzas at the mo as there isn't enough for a salsa; but if i bring a couple of the plants in for the winter then you never know.
              Going to sow some more to get them off to a very very early start for next year [another of my crazy foolish but irresistable experiments]. ditto some chili peppers.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzDuke View Post
                Tomatillos are nice but definitely need a greenhouse.
                depends where you are in the country, in the south east mine are outside and are now fruiting, with masses of fruit on each plant, have taken a long time to get to this stage but probably put that down to the weather
                Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
                Bob Dylan

Comment

hmmm, tried my first tomatillo today - just a raw slice. They are a bit wierd arent' they, kind of 'zingy'. Not unpleasant, but not as nice as a tomato IMO. I can see why they are great for salsa, but don't think I fancy one sliced straight into a sarny. Any other ideas on what to do with a glut of tomatillos?
                  And time just slips away
                  Bonnie Raitt

Comment

I had the same question, as its my first time growing them, and just when they are starting to develop fruit, the days are getting shorter and colder. Was thinking of bringing them indoors (no greenhouse sadly) and increase my chances of getting a crop. Being Mexican, I cannot recommend green salsa enough! And I've never tried them raw on they're own, they don't seem very appetising, do they?

Comment

Could you make a chutney?
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Mine are nearly 5 foot high, I thought they were only supposed to get to 24 inches. They are outside and covered in fruit, none are big enough yet to eat though. They are planted in the garden, so I don't think I can lift them and bring them indoors. Can't wait to try them though.
                        Sylvianne

Get back to the earth, learn to grow your own future

Comment

Mmmmmm, I think you'll find they self seed all over the place anyway! got 4 massive plants on the go all self seeded! need to start making chutney!!

Comment

Mmmmmm, I think you'll find they selfseed all over the place anyway! got 4 massive plants on the go all self seeded! need to start making chutney!! I think you can prune and over winter them like chilis! someone I know did this with cape gooseberries which was a success

Comment

I get these mixed up with tamarillos (which I tried and didn't like much) - they aren't related are they?
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X