Choosing a Variety of French Potato

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing a Variety of French Potato

Can any of our France-based members recommend a variety of potato that will produce chips, sauté potatoes, jacket and roast tatties with a crunchy outside and a soft inner?

Shop bought potatoes here are always a failure when it comes to this basic requirement, but maybe there are varieties that aren't aimed at the supermarket consumers that I could grow myself.

I suppose the idea of bringing back Kind Edward seed potatoes from UK after "B*****" will be a long lost dream or one needing a phyto certificate!

I grow Charlotte as a second early and Armandine as an early. The charlottes do most things you are asking and will keep well. I have only just had to buy potatoes this year.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
      I grow Charlotte as a second early and Armandine as an early. The charlottes do most things you are asking and will keep well. I have only just had to buy potatoes this year.
      Thank you roitelet, I've never tried growing Armandine before, so happy to give it a try. Haven't grown Charlotte in a while as usually available in supermarkets.

Comment

I have grown Ratte, Charlotte(which are reds) and Belle de Fontenay which are all very good spuds.

Ratte is a white-skinned, yellow fleshed maincrop variety has a supremely waxy texture and nutty flavour. Wonderful in salads, or boil with skins on, peeling, mashing and serving with lashings of butter.

Belle de Fontenay has a fine flavour and waxy texture. Great for salads, excellent sautéed or mashed and absolutely irresistible eaten cold with the skin still on! The tubers are long and slightly curved.
        The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

If what you want are King Edward, you can get them in France. Often sold as Oeil de Perdrix. You'll find lots of suppliers online. For example: https://www.labonnegraine.com/variet...ng-edward.html

Comment

I too grow Charlotte but if I want the nearest thing to an 'old' potato I tend to buy the cheapest general purpose spud from the supermarkets....not quite the same though.

^^^interesting link Snoop!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X