Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growin Asparagus - square foot gardening

Hi all,

I’ve been doing square foot gardening for a few years now and I’ve had some great successes. I’ve decided I want to give over 1 of my beds to asparagus, mainly because we love it, it’s expensive and I’ve heard you can’t just grow a couple of asparagus plants so we may as well give over a whole bed (4’ x 2’).

Does anyone have any experience growing asparagus using sfg? Is it just one plant per square foot?

Would really appreciate your comments,
    Dom

Since asparagus is a perennial and will be in place for years to come, wouldn't you space them as advised and disregard SFG?

Comment

Good point

Comment

I've planted three plants in my herbaceous border. I only left 1 foot between plants in a triangular formation.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I've planted mine a foot apart, but in two rows, with the rows being two foot apart.
          https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

You could have 2 rows about 10" to 12" apart with 4 in 1 row and 3 in the other so the 7 plants are about 1' apart. I assume there is a path round the bed that would act as part of the space they were taking up.
            Edit: a bit like Snadger's.
            Last edited by Mark_Riga; 31-03-2019, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Out of interest, look at the root development picture in the article!
              https://soilandhealth.org/wp-content...010137ch6.html
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X