No announcement yet.

Tomato in GH yet?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine are still going in and out. I accidentally left one plant outside over the weekend and its gone really purple from the cold. Fortunately it was a "spare" and not important. Another week or so yet I think.

Comment

Yep, next week is looking warmer. We're due lows of 5 and 4 mid week.

Comment

This weekend is looking impressively cold for May:

Thursday night

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thu night.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	538.9 KB
ID:	2383319

Friday night

Name:	Fri night.jpg
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	2383320

Saturday night

Name:	Sat night.jpg
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	2383321

Sunday night

Name:	sun night.jpg
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	2383322

My experience is that these charts tend to err on the warm side - you can subtract another 2-3 degrees sometimes.

I would be thinking of leaving/bringing any tomato plants indoors over the weekend!
        Last edited by Penellype; 29-04-2019, 04:57 PM.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
          This weekend is looking impressively cold for May:

Thursday night

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86382[/ATTACH]

Friday night

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86383[/ATTACH]

Saturday night

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86384[/ATTACH]

Sunday night

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86385[/ATTACH]

My experience is that these charts tend to err on the warm side - you can subtract another 2-3 degrees sometimes.

I would be thinking of leaving/bringing any tomato plants indoors over the weekend!
          Yes indeed. The met office are forecasting a low of 2° for Friday/Saturday for Stoke.

I can't say whether the weather will wither anyone else's tomatoes, but mine are staying put inside until next week - even though they're now ridiculously lanky...

Comment

I accidentally left my six Thompson's seedless grapes out one night last week, out in the wide, cold open. They don't look too happy with me right now. Ooops!
            I'm gonna sow some more and look after them better than that lol
            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

The few that survived my early sown tomato seeds are in the greenhouse for the past week.
              Grandson is now starting to walk so the plants had to go out of the conservatory,
              They are still alive but just not growing.
              All covered with fleece and newspapers.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Another night of 4c in my GH so my toms will be in the kitchen for a while longer.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Not been down below 10 in my poly tunnel over the last week or so - some of the tomato plants are the best part of 3' high now - I'd have to dig them up if I wanted to bring them back inside :-)

I will be keeping a close eye on the weather forecast though.

Comment

Forecast for my area, might be as low as minus 3 Saturday, so i will be fleeceing my toms in the greenhouse

Comment

My toms and cucumbers have been in the gh overnight since 20th with bubble wrap and fleece. They seem ok. Am going to bring in on thur night though as forecast is 4 degrees.

Comment

I have tomatoes planted out in the ground already that I took a chance on, which now looks like a big mistake given the lows of 1C on Friday and Saturday night. I'm right out in the countryside as well, far away from any big towns. I wouldn't be surprised if we see -1C here on Saturday night. Unseasonably cold for May.

I was planning on planting some more tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and melons in the GH yesterday, but have decided to hold off for another week. Although I am tempted to just plant them tomorrow anyway, as some are starting to get a bit leggy in their starter pots.

Comment

Still have all toms on windowsill. I took a photo to post here but can't find how to!

Comment

Originally posted by BeBe48 View Post
                            Still have all toms on windowsill. I took a photo to post here but can't find how to!
                            Click go advanced.
                            Click the 4th icon from left
                            Click choose file - this will take you to your photos.
                            Then click upload

Name:	6C3F6DAF-6417-4A14-B69A-C5E41F8B92D2.jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	2383470

If it fails to upload your photo is too large. Either crop it or upload to this image resizer

https://tinypng.com/

Save the smaller image back to your computer/phone and try again.
                            Last edited by Scarlet; 07-05-2019, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Mine have been in a month now, three feet tall and second truss setting on some of the plants.

In that time the greenhouse has gone slightly below freezing twice but likely for small periods and no detriment to the plants.

I also have chillies, cucumbers and courgettes in there and two years ago had my first courgette in April. This year I’ve sowed a little later due to holidays.

I think people get hung up about this magical 12C, however I think it means an average rather than going below it for several hours.

Comment

Name:	20190507_064048.jpg
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	2383472Click image for larger version

Name:	20190507_064048.jpg
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	2383472

Tomato photo - possibly!!

Comment