No announcement yet.

Tomato in GH yet?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took some of my bigger sideshoot plants to my friend's greenhouse yesterday as they were too tall for the lights. The forecasts are still mentioning the possibility of frost at the weekend, but there comes a point where you do more damage keeping the plants in very low light than you do by risking a chilly night. Hopefully things will warm up a bit next week and the problem will go away!
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

For those who care
      A candles releases around 80-100Watts of energy
      That is similar to a tube heater, it wont heat but will keep the frost off

On topic
      We are due down to 2-3 on saturday and sundays low is forcast as 6-7 so will probably put into poly-tunnel then
      Sincerely
      Steve
      Last edited by Workslave; 18-05-2019, 02:28 PM.
      I live with autism spectrum disorder. Please be gentle. Sincerely Steve.

Comment

I've started leaving the toms in the greenhouse overnight, but still bringing peppers inside. The toms are still in pots (although bigger size now) so in theory can still come inside if the forecast looks really cold in the next week or so. Then they'll get planted and have to take their chances...
        Mind you the 2 Gardenpearl plants that got too heavy to move look ok in the big greenhouse, but I don't think that one gets as cold as the Norfolk plastic one does.

Comment

My greenhouse is getting most of my tomatoes this weekend coming. They need potting on and there's no way I can accommodate that indoors, so off they go
          https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
            My greenhouse is getting most of my tomatoes this weekend coming. They need potting on and there's no way I can accommodate that indoors, so off they go
            Exactly the same here , hopefully they'll cope.

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
              I potted mine on yesterday hopefully that will be the last time before they get planted into the GH border.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Since I’ve been leaving the toms and cucumbers in the gh overnight they seem to be ok. My plan after the weather heats up at the weekend is to start hardening the outside ones over the course of the week with a view to planting them out the following weekend. Then I’ll have some space and can get the gh ones into bigger / final pots. That’s the plan anyway ....

Comment

All mine were in the greenhouse since about mid April. They're all doing quite well flowering and fruiting. The only loss has been one of my cucumbers so I would say that was a win moving them outside overall. If it's been very cold I've made a terracotta pot/candle heater which has kept the temp up a degree or two. The squash and aubergine have coped with the cold nights too and probably will go outside soon.
                  There are no gardening mistakes, only learning curves

No matter how big the job or overwhelming the task, a good dose of sheer obstinacy and bloody-mindedness should see you through

Comment

Four freaking degrees this morning.... but 8 in the growhouse. They'll be out this weekend, I think.

Is it too late to sow cucumbers, I wonder?

Comment

Still dropping to 4 or 5 degrees inside the greenhouse, so a couple of weeks yet up here

Comment

It's been above 8C for the last few nights, so the toms have stayed in the g/house - won't be long before they're planted - but that will be about 2 weeks later than normal here.
                        Peppers are still coming in though

Comment

Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
                          Is it too late to sow cucumbers, I wonder?
                          I hope not - I've not sown mine yet as they go outdoors. They will be sown next week.
                          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Getting down to 2 degrees here overnight - just about to bring mine back indoors.
                            Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

My little tomato plants sown from seed 1st of April have been mostly under a grow light in the day and only around 2. 5 inches tall. They're getting quite leafy and the stem is thickening up.
                              When are they likely to start getting a bit taller? Can I start hardening them off yet when we get some warm weather this weekend? Hoping they will benefit from sunshine!

Comment

Hi Jenni, I think your plants have been concentrating on their roots, if both warmth and light have both been provided. All of a sudden they will shoot up in height, you just wait
                                Good luck with it!
                                https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X