No announcement yet.

I give up... Greenhouse heater?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a small fan heater from B&Q a few years back for about £18. One of my best buys. Have tomato plants 3 feet high with plenty of flowers on them. Usually get the first toms middle to end of June. All the bedding plants for the neighbours do well so quite happy with it.
    Bob.

Comment

Tomatoes in the greenhouse.
      Plenty of fleece and newspaper.
      Not showing any signs of cold.
      Wouldn't bother with heaters, as I would rather battle it out with the weather.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I'm going to leave all my toms in the greenhouse unheated and uncovered, I've just found around 30 or so tomato seedlings growing out of compost that I spread on my beds last Nov.
        They're about 4" tall and doing very well out in the open, they totally look like they've survived this weekends cold spell
        sigpic

Comment

Well fan heater doesn’t seem to be turning itself on, or maybe I’ve not got it set correctly. Whatever it is the gh was down at 5 last night. Hopefully the bubble wrap and fleece was enough. So fed up with this weather!

Comment

I use an old heater along with one of these Inkbird, recommended on here in past. Not cheap but keeps energy usage to minimum as tight temperature range. I also have a kw usage guage and its surprising how little energy is needed this time of year, so worthwhile, where as its too expensive, at least for me, in say early april

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Tem.../dp/B018K82UQU

Comment

Originally posted by It never rains..it pours View Post
              I use an old heater along with one of these Inkbird, recommended on here in past. Not cheap but keeps energy usage to minimum as tight temperature range. I also have a kw usage guage and its surprising how little energy is needed this time of year, so worthwhile, where as its too expensive, at least for me, in say early april

I use an Inkbird thermostat too... it's worked really well in the past. I went in this morning though ad found that the heater element has blown so the fan was just blowing cool air around! New fan now on order!!!

Comment

It's not going to get above ten degrees even during the day here for at least a week, according to the forecast. I'm not asking for balmy, but a little higher than that would be helpful!

So far I'm managing with the net curtain addition to the growhouse, but I'm not risking my toms out there yet, when it gets below 5 degrees even in the growhouse.

But don't worry, we've got a consumer unit with an RCD and a properly fitted external socket, so if I did want to use something electical (which I don't particularly) we could do so safely.

Comment

Originally posted by It never rains..it pours View Post

Be careful with these as they only handle a mite over 2kw.

Bio Green do one that'll handle 3kw. They're eye wateringly expensive at £60+.
                  Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

My toms go out, 2nd week of April, no heating, no fleece, no bubble wrap.

Absolutely thriving. I do this every year and I’ve never lost a plant.

However I’m on the South Coast so may not work for others.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonnyt View Post
                      However I’m on the South Coast so may not work for others.
                      Such a difference being close to the coast as well as being so far South.
                      I'm in the south west but back onto opennfield. We can have a frost where two fields up their fine.
                      My neighbour put her French beans out a week ago ...there's not much left. It's a gamble.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyK View Post
                        Be careful with these as they only handle a mite over 2kw.

Bio Green do one that'll handle 3kw. They're eye wateringly expensive at £60+.
                        Good point to highlight DannyK.

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                          My toms have all been out in the greenhouse for weeks now, no issues. They've had a sheet of fleece thrown over them on colder nights but that's it - no mollycoddling!
                          Likewise. Chillies too. I have used fleece and a couple of candles to keep the temperature up a degree or so, but not for a couple of weeks now.
                          Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                          By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                          While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                          At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X