No announcement yet.

Dying plants & some observations

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should be fine with ericaceous compost from a good brand, sulphur is good if planting in the ground like I did or correcting already planted blueberries. Personally find they are rather tempermental and if get a good crop the birds attack in force. But you have 3 that look good. I have not let my young ones fruit but can understand why you want some output.

Comment

Just thought I would post this here as it's still relevant..

I noticed recently that wasps were stripping a potato plant and upon closer inspection this is exactly what was happening.. Notice that the wasps are clustered around the base of the stem and stripping it in seemingly random locations, any thoughts on this?

I recently harvested some white onions and noticed on some (not many) that the roots had been eaten away causing the bulbs to deform and split randomly. Has anyone encountered this phenomena before ?
      Attached Files

Comment

Also, ... I'm curious to know what species of caterpillar this is and whether it's a pest?
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Forage420 View Post
          Lastly, this looks horribly like onion eelworm.

Only a very small amount of my onions are affected at the moment.

The book says to dig up the infected onions and not plant alliums in the same place next year. What do you all think?
          I recently harvested some white onions and noticed on some (not many) that the roots had been eaten away causing the bulbs to deform and split randomly. Has anyone encountered this phenomena before ?
          The same onions????
          Last edited by veggiechicken; 15-08-2019, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Cinnabar caterpillar,not a pest I never see them here,what are those wasps up to,do you think they’re getting a drink from the watery potato stem? That’s just a guess I’ve no idea really?

Comment

Blueberry plants are suffering from discoloured leaves and lacklucker fruit production. They look as though they are dying :
              This looks like the soil is too alkaline. Give them an ericaceous feed and mulch with something acidic like pine needles. Water with rain water, not tap water.
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Check the wasps don't have a nest where that potato is. They could be getting water or may be pealing dry skin for nest building if suitable wood is at a premium round there. Or they may be clearing some aphids for you.

Comment

This looks like a ladybird larva. So please don't get rid of it as it'll eat all the aphids on your plants

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X