This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bikermike View Post
    ... my parents found it under the floorboards....
    Anything else buried under the floorboards?

Well weird.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Love my De Wit cape cod weeder, and my ladies groundbreaker spade.

Comment

I like the look of that culti-weeder VC!! Never seen that before
        https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MelanieSW View Post
          Love my De Wit cape cod weeder, and my ladies groundbreaker spade.
          Interesting spade. I'd never have thought of using one of those for digging, more like shovelling muck. Obviously effective if you like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
            Interesting spade. I'd never have thought of using one of those for digging, more like shovelling muck. Obviously effective if you like it.
            It requires less force to go into the ground because it has a point, hence for "Ladies" 😁. I never really got anywhere with the square shape ones, don't have the muscle strength I suppose.

Comment

I use a fork for digging. All that soil on the end of a spade is too heavy for me to manage digging for any length of time. Plus, the big clods seem to break up a bit better if forked out rather than spaded (if that's a word).

Comment

I do love my azada, though its a bit heavy for me now id prefer the lighter version. I really want some Japanese tools they look amazing

Comment

^If you can bend easily, I recommend them.

I have a perfectly-balanced light-weight azada of the right length for me (found in the house among lots of other bits and pieces, so a great chance find) but I still find it hard work after a bit and would much rather use the tools Jay-ell recommended. Doubtless there are others too. Jay-ell, any suggestions?

Comment

Secateurs (Wilkinson Sword) - one in use and a spare in the shed as I once had to stop work cutting back nettles etc because my old pair snapped!

Small spade from Wilko - think it cost less than £7 but it's ideal for me

My wheelbarrow

Long teaspoon for easing out seedlings from trays

Pencil & notebook in greenhouse to note down what I've sown
                    If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

my real favourite is Mr Snoop. I only have to say "Do you think you could make...?" or "Could you give me a hand with...?" and he's on the case.
                      I think husbands do those things to get some peace and quiet
                      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I like my long shafted hand fork and aluminium hoe
                        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                          Anything else buried under the floorboards?

Well weird.
                          heh!

Just a few weird old bones and feather. Mind you, when they got dug up, things did move around at night a lot... and there was all this ectoplasm on the walls...

No, I think it was just abandoned by a builder when the house was built and found when it was opened up to do an extension. It's ironic for me as (a) I am a no-digger, and (b) I bought a shed with tools in it off the bloke who was thee previous tenant of the plot.

Comment

^If you can bend easily, I recommend them.

I have a perfectly-balanced light-weight azada of the right length for me (found in the house among lots of other bits and pieces, so a great chance find) but I still find it hard work after a bit and would much rather use the tools Jay-ell recommended. Doubtless there are others too. Jay-ell, any suggestions?
                            I've two smaller hand hoes that are useful but you have to be at bed level to use.

This has a hoe head narrower than an onion hoe plus spikey bits and is handy for breaking up the soil

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The next one is a mini azde with an even narrower head, great for weeding those tight packed beds

Both can be used for hoeing or digging, but if I needed to use one to dig it would be the spikey one.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Forgot to add my favourite tool in the greenhouse it one of those fish flip things from the kitchen it's made of strong plastic slated plate 5inches deep and about 8 inches wide and it is great for mixing the compost, perlite, and grit for potting on, also working it down through the compost to break up lumps

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                                I've two smaller hand hoes that are useful but you have to be at bed level to use.

This has a hoe head narrower than an onion hoe plus spikey bits and is handy for breaking up the soil

The next one is a mini azde with an even narrower head, great for weeding those tight packed beds

Both can be used for hoeing or digging, but if I needed to use one to dig it would be the spikey one.
                                I have one of the spikey ones but with a long handle on it. I'm not very good with it. Perhaps could cut the handle down to make it a bit easier to wield. My azada head is very small (lots of other sizes found in the house too), so not far off the one in the picture. Not sure I could justify another purchase to Mr Snoop...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X