I don't know my onions! Help?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know my onions! Help?

A few days ago I bought a bag of onions, just labelled 'onion sets'. Is there any way I can tell what type they might be and (more importantly) whether to plant them now or in spring?

Claire
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

i have no idea how you will find out but i wolud try a few now and a few in the spring see which grow the best.
    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

That was all I could think of too!

Claire

Comment

They will most certainly be Japanese onions at this time of year. Suggest you go back to where you bought them and ask what type!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks Snadger. I'll bung them in and see what happens then! I would go back if it was a shop but I bought them from an old boy who leaves things outside his house with a note saying how much each thing is and to post your money through his letter box. Seems mean to bother him - they only cost me £1 for a big paper bag full!

Claire

Comment

He is probably an enthusiastic gardener and would be more than happy to give you advice. Try knocking on the door and asking.

Comment

Oh do, Seahorse, and keep us up to date with the tale… Where in the East Midlands are you then, I’m in the East Midlands but there’s no old boys round here selling onion sets at bargain prices, wish there was!

But it lets me tell one of the saddest gardening stories I know. Chap down the road had a surplus of apples so being community minded he put them in his wheelbarrow outside his house with a little sign “Please help yourself”. When he later checked he found the apples all scattered in the road and somebody had nicked the wheelbarrow! Bm Bm!

bb

Comment

Oh some people are just... well, I don't suppose I can post here the word I'm thinking of!

I shall speak to the chappie if I see him then - I occasionally catch him unloading his bike and taking off his gardening shoes after (I presume) a day at his allotment.

I'm in Lincolnshire bazzaboy

Claire

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse