Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pea varieties for autumn planting?

Folks,

I was wondering what peas I could plant now for overwintering. I have a small plastic tunnel thing (not a tunnel proper, but a little cloche on hoops kind of idea) that I can put over them, and a space on the plot where this could go.

But I don't know what peas I should be planting. I had Suttons Kelvedon Wonder (I think) for the summer, but are these ok for winter as well? Or what should I be looking for in the garden centre/shops?

It's an experiment, so if it fails that's fine, but I'd like to get the experimental conditions as good as possible first!

Wings

PS I forgot to add that I thought I saw somewhere that it should be a "round" variety - this I definitely need enlightenment on.....
    Last edited by Winged one; 21-09-2007, 01:47 PM.

I used Meteor last year. I lost quite a couple over winter, but I resowed more in February and they did quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by Winged one View Post

PS I forgot to add that I thought I saw somewhere that it should be a "round" variety - this I definitely need enlightenment on.....
      Meteor is a round seeded pea. Round seeded as opposed to wrinkle seeded peas are less prone to rot in the ground!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi.
        I sowed Kelvedon wonder about a month ago and they are flowering quite well now, I have heard that these are quite hardy and will withstand a winter with a bit of protection.

Comment

I'm trying Douce Provence and Pilot. I've not tried overwintering peas before, but these are supposed to be very hardy, and they will be growing in a raised bed with protection from a frame and plastic cover when required. I'm going to sow mine next weekend in pots and then plant when they're a little bigger. I hope this will improve germination rates and get them off to a good start.

My approach is that if you're short on space and really want peas, give them the best chance you can - get the hardy varieties, protect them from wind but ventilate to minimise fungus attack. If you're just experimenting and they're not taking up any ground that would be better used for something else, use what you have to hand and keep your fingers' crossed!

Comment

I am trying feltham first - got them free from the GYO mag (P&Ponly). I will be covering with fleece over a hoop so that I can put on plastic or more fleece later on if needed they are supposed to crop from May onwards. I am also sowing aquadulce broad beans (also free) the same way
            Last edited by Kimbo; 30-09-2007, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X